Discuss Tinned copper cable! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have recently been to test a property that has tinned stranded copper cable on the socket and lighting circuits. Is this type of cable still acceptable or does it need removing and re-wiring? Any advise would be welcome.

Providing it tests all ok then i dont see why it needs replacing.

Although i think if its the old imperial cable then it could only have a 1.0mm cpc rather than 1.5.

Yes I agree if all tests are ok why change,but you must take note of loadings of cables,because i do not know where you could find ratings for these types of cables.Also if extra sockets are added its not a good idea to connect solid copper to stranded tinned copper.Make the customer aware.

Look at what is on the circuits - kitchen sockets etc and areas with high loads.See if they are potentially pulling high currents and tell them to be carefull if adding extra circuits etc.Maybe someone will have an old regs book with the ratings ??

I understand the procdure for PIR. There has been additions all over the house, single copper core to tinned copper and the is no CPC in the lighting circuit with class 1 fittings in most rooms! I was going to suggest a re-wire with the ammount of work needed to bring it up to standard, lots of other things to, no main bonding or RCD protection just to name two.

Being an oldie, I can give some history on this.

In the days of tough rubber cables, the copper strands were tinned to prevent the sulphur in the tough rubber attacking the copper. When PVC cables were created the manufactures still used tinned copper, they then realised that there was no need to tin the copper, as PVC does not damage the copper.
The cable you have encounted for a socket circuit is probably the imperial size of 7/029, which should be fine and fit for purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
old git bernieg i no what your saying and if it was a family member who was short on the doh then i would say as long as it tests ok then its ok but given a 25yr as max for rewiring your pad as quoted by most so called govening bodies then this must be outside this by 20yrs and inneed of a rewire ive been a spark for 30 +and was pvc when i was an teaboy (take note dazza 69 )

Good evening Bonjovi,

Yes, I have about 47 years service in the electrical industry, so "the old Git" is very correct. Most of my time has been spent in heavy industry and only a very short time in my early days on domestic work.
I must say that I have never met anyone who has had a rewire, just because the installation wiring is over 25 years old. I do agree though if it is not safe it should be rewired. Kind regards

Thanks guys. I have recommended a re-wire due to the general condition of the installation and the fact that this is going to be a rental property. After all the primary concern from the landlord is the tennant's safety! Thanks again for all you suggestions

Reply to Tinned copper cable! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock