Discuss Tiny electrical jolt from shower head. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know the most likely cause of a tiny electrical nip while standing in a (non-electric) shower and touching any metal parts like the showerhead .

Could it be a lack of bonding issue or a faulty appliance within the home or do you know! and best way to solve or find or fix(trace).

could be static. id the shower head or mixer taps are earthed/bonded through the plumbing i.e. copper pipes, no plastic, it could indicate a voltage on the house earthing system. this can be checked in 5 minutes by a qualified electrician.

I would get it checked, as if it were static electric you would be seeing it in many places not just the shower. It could imply something far more serious is wrong.

I am going to readily dismiss static as a cause of the shock.

SHOWER, humid environment, wet walls and shower door.

I cant believe that the human body, naked could be still charged with static by the time you manage to touch the shower head.

just too many ways for a static charge to dissipate, feet to wet floor, hand to shower door, just the fact that you are in such a wet environment means you are unlikely to be able to hold a static charge.
I am with @pc1966 on this one, there may be a more serious issue that needs looking at ASAP

could still be static if OP touches shower to warm it before getting wet. although as said. won't cost a lot for a sparks to check and test for a fault. said fault could be minor at present, but could escalate into a dangerous fault. always best to err on the side of caution ( a bit like wearing 2 condoms. :( ).

Bonding the pipework has potentially masked a more serious problem, you need to get the installation checked to ensure it is safe.

Reply to Tiny electrical jolt from shower head. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net