Discuss Tips for meter box wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mikegh

Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys

I've a practical test soon for work as a smart meter installer

Looking for any tips on working with 16/25 stranded singles .Could be a mix of pvc only and sheathed, 7 strand

Im going to make a dummy board and practice moving things around and connecting to improve my profiency

Any techniques for working fast and getting the bends right and the job looking right

TIA

Last edited:
strip the cables a little more than you's expect.then when you bend them into position, you find the ends are uneven, so then trim to correct length.

and always wriggle and re-tighten terminals once the strands have settled down.
Especially this!!
Local church, several years ago, had a meter change. Installer had tightly twisted the ends of the tails, pushed them into the meter, and tightened the screws. I came along a few days later to add circuits, discovered this, gave the tails a slight anti clockwise twist, and out they all came. Phone call to the DNO wasn't particularly polite.

What's the best way to cut straight links and connect them in , do you cut piece slightly long so when it fits in there's a slight bow ?

Also if you're making a link that's straight but has to right angle in at both ends , what's the best way to shape it ? Curve it like a bow ?

Hope the last one makes sense

Make it longer than you need : ie have the straight bit as you require but the 2 bits beyond the 90 degree bend make much longer. Then trim/strip accordingly.
The added length will make bending easier. Trying to bend 25mm tails with just a few inches to work with will hurt your hands and fingers.
Should add that given the price of 25mm tails these days dont have too much waste!!

Make it longer than you need : ie have the straight bit as you require but the 2 bits beyond the 90 degree bend make much longer. Then trim/strip accordingly.
The added length will make bending easier. Trying to bend 25mm tails with just a few inches to work with will hurt your hands and fingers.
Should add that given the price of 25mm tails these days dont have too much waste!!
In short, do all the bending, before cutting the ends of the tails square.

Just remember, you dont want any inner insulation showing when terminating.
What do you mean by that ?

Does the 5mm of inner not show after terminating ?

Do you twist the strands or just push them straight in after cutting, I thought twisting would give a dodgy connection

Or do you twist then terminate and give them a jiggle and retighten?

Bit confused on that one ^ and thanks for all the replies , very helpful

There should not be any primary insulation visible outside of any equipment once the covers, etc, are installed.

So if you have stripped the secondary sheath further back to reveal a sliver of the primary colour (a good idea) then that has to be small enough, copper length not too long, etc, so once all is in place you don't see it outside.

Do you twist the strands or just push them straight in after cutting, I thought twisting would give a dodgy connection

You should not need to twist them (really hard to do with 25mm 7-strand anyway), but giving it a good wiggle and re-checking the torque after everything is connected and before the covers finally go on is a very good idea!

Does the 5mm of inner not show after terminating ?

Bit confused on that one ^ and thanks for all the replies , very helpful
The reason for the slight step is to prevent copper showing, the terminated cable is pushed right up to both terminal screws, the inner insulation goes up the meter terminal holes, so you end up with outer sheathing showing only, hope that makes sense to you cant explain it any other way.

Lucien Nunes wanna go camping and fishing sometime , swear wont do your head in if not you telectrix after that dan and Lou for 25 quid

do not twist the ends of the tails. also no 90deg. sharp bends. nice raduis bend. when happy then secure tails with a couple of cleats

Ok well thanks I'll put all this onto practice

I knew not to twist the strands already

Is it just a knife that's used for stepping back the sheath, do you score it and tear it off

Reply to Tips for meter box wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net