Discuss Tips from a pro..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The tip about NOT using Hammer action is one i learnt years ago. It destroys stuff very quickly .Anything "New build " will just fall apart if you use hammer ! I also only uses wood bits when drilling plaster board .Find the holes much better . BUT ..only when i am sue no cables or pipes !

beyond me. if in doubt, make holes with hammer.

How does that work theres 2 different size threads

Usually when I'm widening the hole the holesaws are same thread

I see there it men's starting off with a small hole

I'd normally be starting at about 50mm or the standard size for a basic GU10 and tho enables you to conform the cables are there

I see there it men's starting off with a small hole

I'd normally be starting at about 50mm or the standard size for a basic GU10 and tho enables you to conform the cables are there
I'm not sure why you would intentionally drill a hole smaller than what you would need, but you would then use the bit you used as the pilot, and rather than having just a few mm as a lead you have as much as you want. Works on the larger and smaller arbors.

STRA19_INUSE1.jpeg

When stripping down a motor gear box assembly (or for any assembly with multiple parts and casings) take a dot punch, lightly dot each item with its corresponding part, (taking care to not damage any engineered surfaces) especially if there are multiple possible positions but the original position is crucial on re-assembly.

I post this because one of my less experienced team members has just stripped a gearbox assembly down to replace some worn parts. He did have the common sense to mark the parts but used a "permanent" marker pen, only to wash the marks off at the de-greasing station.

I'm not sure why you would intentionally drill a hole smaller than what you would need, but you would then use the bit you used as the pilot, and rather than having just a few mm as a lead you have as much as you want. Works on the larger and smaller arbors.

View attachment 88249

Thanks for the link , gonna pick one up, seen so many tools and gadgets since I registered her, I need to speak to the wife

Reason for drilling the smaller holes as I said was there's so many sizes and I didnt always know so drilled for the smallest standard GU10

Not involved in that type work these days

When stripping down a motor gear box assembly (or for any assembly with multiple parts and casings) take a dot punch, lightly dot each item with its corresponding part, (taking care to not damage any engineered surfaces) especially if there are multiple possible positions but the original position is crucial on re-assembly.

I post this because one of my less experienced team members has just stripped a gearbox assembly down to replace some worn parts. He did have the common sense to mark the parts but used a "permanent" marker pen, only to wash the marks off at the de-greasing station.

Good post

Shooting from the hip but how much if any of that can you do with a camera phone

Prob not much

I got into the habit of taking out the phone and taking loads of pictures when strioping stuff down and reassembling

Good post

Shooting from the hip but how much if any of that can you do with a camera phone

Prob not much

I got into the habit of taking out the phone and taking loads of pictures when strioping stuff down and reassembling
Yeah, sure with modern technology we can take snap shots that can be very useful. However, in certain circumstances you are looking for 100% reliability, digital pictures can be accidently erased.

Reply to Tips from a pro..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net