Discuss Tips starting off.. stuck in a catch 22.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

Alright guys i'm in an annoying situation here. I'm 19 and i have my level 2,3 city and guilds 2365 (3 years two days a week at college.....)and 17th edition. I get work as an electricians mate time to time but its simply not enough. i have had about 1.5 years worth experience can do alarm systems + CCTV +Emergancy lighting + fira alarm systems and some networking.

But there's like no work. I need work to fund my driving lessons + van.. and also want to do my 2394-2395 but how do i do that if im not working. what i need is solid work with someone and to build my NVQ but there's nothing called ,apply-ed for alot of company's , people but nothing back.

People say stop rushing there's no need to rush...but i would rather be sparking and learning then sitting on my A..

Last edited by a moderator:
You have done well mate, you have a lot more at 19 than many on here! There is a lot of work around at the moment. Register with agencies, and look into ADT, ABEL, PROTEC, KINGS and CHUBB as you have Intruder & CCTV experience.

Get yourself a CSCS labourers card. If you've not already. Then just walk on to a site, ask for the sparks foreman and see if he's looking for anybody. Find the sites and you'll get a start. Worked for me many times.

i got a cscs labourers card i contacted over phones , email them but never walked on sites and done that. il give it ago! XD! thanks man

Make sure you've got your boots, hat and vis. Some site agents and labourers can be a bit prickly towards a stranger/young lad but don't let them put you off. If you keep trying you'll get a start, it's as much timing as anything.

You have done well mate, you have a lot more at 19 than many on here! There is a lot of work around at the moment. Register with agencies, and look into ADT, ABEL, PROTEC, KINGS and CHUBB as you have Intruder & CCTV experience.

What he said Mike ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

try jaguar/land rover. i hear they're hiring.

Reply to Tips starting off.. stuck in a catch 22.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net