Discuss TN-S and RCD's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Graeme Harrold

Just done a load of inspections on a caravan park where the entire distribution system is TN-S. Problem is that quite a few of the Ze's are above 0.8 ohms stipulated as maximum. The question is, does the use of RCD's mitigate the above parameter readings? or will they have to get the Ze's down.......

Just done a load of inspections on a caravan park where the entire distribution system is TN-S. Problem is that quite a few of the Ze's are above 0.8 ohms stipulated as maximum. The question is, does the use of RCD's mitigate the above parameter readings? or will they have to get the Ze's down.......

Are we talking about your Ze's being at the point of a DNO fuse, or are they at the end of submains? The 0.8 figure is only used when talking about the main supply to an installation from the DNO, nothing after this.

To the original question, yes, an RCD will mitigate this problem. But if it's that high then I would be looking at volt drop problems as well if I were you, as it sounds like a bit of a dodgy install, which is to be expected really on caravan sites.

Thanks for the reply,

Highest Ze I got was 79.7 ohms, but the majority are in the 1 to 1.8 ohm range. Thankfully they have back to back RCD's just to keep things safe (but not conveniant for the guy who comes out to reset them!!!) Will make recommedations to get the Ze figures down as some of the dist panels are in a poor state.

79.7 ohms is way high for a tns.....are you sure the earth has not been separated and spiked?[/Q

Given the state some of the SWA is in, the armour is quite badly corroded in places and this is probably what is wrong here. Fortunately I am only doing the reports, someone else can find and sort it as they have on-site sparks........

Given the state some of the SWA is in, the armour is quite badly corroded in places and this is probably what is wrong here. Fortunately I am only doing the reports, someone else can find and sort it as they have on-site sparks........

That's what I thought the problem to cause Ze's of that magnitude would be. I hope I never have the misfortune of staying at that park as the on site sparks don't sound like they're up to much!!

Reply to TN-S and RCD's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock