Discuss TN-S & TT on same installation what should I class it as? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Miketwinny

got a 16mm earthing conductor from main supply sheath goin in to the MET + an earth electrode(rod) next to the supply with a 10mm earthing conductor comin off it to the MET
Should I class it as a TT system for test results and mark the EIC as TN-S & TT :nonod: TN-S & TT on same installation what should I class it as? earth - EletriciansForums.net

Jeysuz I can't hardly believe what I'm seeing. - someones driven an earth rod in but an inch from the service mains and the gas mains......

thats more of a worry!

seen a few like that. and don't worry about the services, he's only driven the rod in half way;LOL.

No tests done yet, been like that from new; 43 years.If the Ze for the TN-S system is OK, I can make the rod redundant.

theres every chance its a dno bodge , seen dafter things done by power companies.
either way , tn-s is by far the better earth path and should be given precedence over tt.

Maybe at some point in the past (or from new) the Ze simply wasn't good enough so to lower it or there was a 'long time to fix' fault they knocked a rod in. If it's been concreted/screeded in like that from new suggests to me it got put in when you could see what was going on underneath.

My advice is not to make any judgement call on this one. Call in your local supply authority to address this HORROR show
or u could get egg on your face, they can confirm TNS max 0.8 ohms or TNCS max 0.35 ohms for your Ze's
They are normally very helpful and it should be free of charge
Let us all know the outcome

got a 16mm earthing conductor from main supply sheath goin in to the MET + an earth electrode(rod) next to the supply with a 10mm earthing conductor comin off it to the MET
Should I class it as a TT system for test results and mark the EIC as TN-S & TT :nonod: View attachment 17960[/QUOTE

**** me...If this is the way he creates a earth then I think it would be safer without... Close or What

My advice is not to make any judgement call on this one. Call in your local supply authority...They are normally very helpful and it should be free of charge
:D From what I've read on here if you phone them up and mention an earth stake they think you are talking about an eco-friendly slab of beef.

Tell you what Tigi, you must be very lucky and have gotten through to the one person at the local DNO who actually knows what you're talking about and how to help you. Every time I've done it round here I get the image of that Little Britain character...Computer says naw

It's takes brave or stupid man to knock a rod in so close to the incoming services!!

On the subject of the earthing. I would first verify that there was a good TNS earth of less than 0.8ohms. If so, then run a new 16 mm earth up to the CCU from the MET and do away with the TT earth altogether as it is not needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I class it as a TT system for test results and mark the EIC as TN-S & TT :nonod: View attachment 17960[/QUOTE

**** me...If this is the way he creates a earth then I think it would be safer without... Close or What

You think that was close !!!
One of our lads had a wee mishap this morning while installing a stake on a local farm .
It was a 3ph 35mm incomer before he literally blew it clean apart on all 3 phases , the supply side was still live when they got to us !
I knew it was going to be painful when the first two vans turned up but my arse near on gave out when the other three turned up !!!!!!!!!!!!:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

TN-S & TT on same installation what should I class it as? 155 - EletriciansForums.netTN-S & TT on same installation what should I class it as? 159 - EletriciansForums.netTN-S & TT on same installation what should I class it as? 167 - EletriciansForums.netTN-S & TT on same installation what should I class it as? 170 - EletriciansForums.netTN-S & TT on same installation what should I class it as? 163 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to TN-S & TT on same installation what should I class it as? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock