Discuss TNS Earthing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

oldskoolbeat

Hi all, I'm a newbie here so be gentle :eek: :D

Anyway...Doing a rewire on a house and the incomer has the old soldered on earthing, couldn't even tell ya what size it is (maybe 10mm), all I want to ask is should I get this changed?

The cable looks in good condition and reading are all okay (cant remember what they are right now but they were good).

So should I get it changed or leave it alone???

Thanks

Beat (nickname;))

Excellent forum by the way
TNS Earthing {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
keep up the good work ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
the earth of a TNS arrangement are normally soldered on to the armourings. have a bit of a play and if you're worried get some more solder on there to improve the connection.

normally the supply side isn't your concern and a good result on Zs would suffice

Any thing the other side of the meter is their problem. If your measured Ze on their stuff is within limits go for your life. If however anything is in anyway loose or corroded call them up and say "FIRE HAZARD". It's really good fun!

forgot to say it's good to see people taking this duty of care stuff seriously.

the house i went in today will need a complete rewire! the guy who lived there before fancied himself as a bit of a DIY legend, i wish i'd taken a camera - it's by far the worst installation i've ever come across!!! :yikes:

Thanks for the replys Lads
TNS Earthing {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

It was just one of them things where I wasn't quite sure, if ya know what I mean.
Readings are good and the connection is sound, it wasn't till I had to write the size of the Main Earthing that I thought what size is that then....

Be glad to see the back of this job, going on a bit long now, what with a total of 52 downlighters downstairs without mentioning all the ones in the bedrooms and landings :eek:

Still its a job;)

Off to read some more posts, thanks again :)

Any thing the other side of the meter is their problem. If your measured Ze on their stuff is within limits go for your life. If however anything is in anyway loose or corroded call them up and say "FIRE HAZARD" It's really good fun!
I like the "FIRE HAZARD". bit to get the job sorted :D
A few years ago in my own house the company fuse holder had gone for a melt down due to a loose connection, it was still warm and smelly when I found it, I ditched the load and removed the fuse.
When they turned up to replace it the guy said that I shouldn't have removed it, and then replaced the holder live :rolleyes: one lot of rules for one etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
"the earth of a TNS arrangement are normally soldered on to the armourings. have a bit of a play and if you're worried get some more solder on there to improve the connection."

On NO account should you attempt this. I used to work at the local electricity board and was trained to do this kind of job. You'd be surprised how quickly the lead sheath melts if you're careless with a blowlamp.

By the same token, don't fix an earth-clamp to the lead sheath either - tightened too much and well, you'll need a new earth-clamp at least. Notify the local supply company and let them sort it out.

"the earth of a TNS arrangement are normally soldered on to the armourings. have a bit of a play and if you're worried get some more solder on there to improve the connection."

On NO account should you attempt this. I used to work at the local electricity board and was trained to do this kind of job. You'd be surprised how quickly the lead sheath melts if you're careless with a blowlamp.

By the same token, don't fix an earth-clamp to the lead sheath either - tightened too much and well, you'll need a new earth-clamp at least. Notify the local supply company and let them sort it out.

putting a few drops of solder on with a blowlamp is a bit extreme

get a soldering iron, put solder on to iron, let a few drops fall on to existing connection, job done!

Reply to TNS Earthing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock