Discuss TNS Ze 0.8Ohms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did a lot of miles today and was pondering.

This is not a real scenario.

Not necessarily "how often does a Ze make an installation impossible?" but more..

If, the measured Ze is say 0.30 Ohms and you then design your installation to keep your Zs's within BBB max allowances, does the DNO have a responsibility to maintain the measured Ze or can they simply state 0.8 Ohms.

For an example you install a 10KW shower.

At time of installation the Ze is 0.3 Ohms.

Your R1+R2 is 0.1 Ohms, Zs of Approx 0.4 Ohms.

10mm T&E on a B50 Zs limit = 0.69 Ohms.

So, job done, cert issued and notified.

Stay with me....

6 months later there's a change of tenancy and the landlord has an EICR done. I nkow

Now the Ze is 0.6 Ohms and my installed circuit is measured as 0.7 Ohms and is listed as a C2 on the cert.

What happens, will the DNO just state "0.8 Ohms not our problem"

If the Ze is within stated values as supplied by the DNO I tend to think they will not take any action. Sometimes it is possible to talk with someone and discuss that change and there would be a slim possibility they may check their earth. They are required to maintain the earth as required under ESQCR (24) but whether they would see a legal responsibility to do so in the scenario described I think is remote. And the figures you have shown suggest a change from requirements of .01 ohms so would that be a C2? But anyway the 80% rule applying would mean a significant non compliance I agree. Difficult as to how they would propose to remedy such a C2

why are we as sparks so pedantic about things,in my opinion a discrepancy of anything like 0.05 ohms is irrelevant due to all sorts of things ,different meters ,tightness of croc clips, unclean conductor connections etc etc .the dno in my experience would take no action.

I knew i was asking for trouble by making the numbers so tight, schoolboy error.

Its a hypothetical scenario so imagine the change to be significant.

If the change is significant then the DNO will do something about it.

Might be wrong, but aren’t those values given ‘typical’ values not maximum, and the DNO may or may not try and reduce them, if it exceeds the typical value.

I've seen 1667 Ohms listed as max Zs on EICRs before where RCDs are present but thought it was frowned upon, relying on an RCD for fault protection.
An RCD is a permitted device for earth fault protection on a TN system, I dont have the BBB to hand for the reg number but it is (obviously) in the section on fault protection for TN systems! and clearly states the maximum Zs in the table for RCD's applies (41.5 off the top of my head ??). A lot of electricians simply dont accept it, but technically, where a 30ma RCD protects a circuit the maximum permitted Zs is 1667 ohms regardless of the earthing system.

An RCD is a permitted device for earth fault protection on a TN system, I dont have the BBB to hand for the reg number but it is (obviously) in the section on fault protection for TN systems! and clearly states the maximum Zs in the table for RCD's applies (41.5 off the top of my head ??). A lot of electricians simply dont accept it, but technically, where a 30ma RCD protects a circuit the maximum permitted Zs is 1667 ohms regardless of the earthing system.
411.4.5, 411.4.204, and table 41.5

It is not 1667 ohms under the BBB, it is 7667 ohms. 230/0.03=7667
Half agree?
411.4.204 says "the maximum values of earth fault loop impedance in Table 41.5 MAY be applied", not MUST be.
However, I believe the calculation is (230 X 0.95)/0.03 = 7283.3.
But who cares? Never going to get close to any of these values in a healthy circuit.

A good question!
I cant imagine the DNO doing anything about a Ze of 0.8ohms on a TNS as its within limits. If it's changed from say 0.3ohms to 0.8ohms which then pushes your Zs over the limit I think that is going to be down to the electrician to sort out. I'm not saying that's fair but it's the only real option.

I also didn't think you could rely on an RCD for fault protection if it is TNS or TNCS. Zs on these systems would almost become irrelevant if we did as they would always be below 1667.

Don't forget, when you examine your manual for your MFT there is on most MFT a factor of 6 places for continuity tests. i.e. a figure of 0.09 ohms could in real terms be 0.03 or 0.15. Thus when applying found figures the accuracy is highly suspect.

Half agree?
411.4.204 says "the maximum values of earth fault loop impedance in Table 41.5 MAY be applied", not MUST be.
However, I believe the calculation is (230 X 0.95)/0.03 = 7283.3.
But who cares? Never going to get close to any of these values in a healthy circuit.
It would be nice if they produced a book that gives clear guidance and limits, maybe review it and ammend it every year or two, it would be costly mind but it would remove the ambiguity.

If the Ze is within the prescribed limits, then there is no responsibility wrt the dno. Just like if they provided 240V on your day of testing, but 225V thereafter - all are within the range allowed under their obligations.

The installation we design should comply with the ranges allowed, so for example if I design for a site that has a pme of 0.2ohm, I would still design for 0.35ohm, as this is the limit (or 0.8 ohms for your TNS example).

This means that on some designs I have to specify rcd/rcbo for fault protection (rather than the sometimes optional additional protection), even though on the day, theoretically the actual Zs is below that needed to operate a MCB within the timescale needed, because just like we have to design for the limits of voltage allowed, we ought to design for the Ze allowed.

If the dno then changes the earthing pme->TNS or just out of the prescribed range, it would be their responsibility to fix, or advise the client of the changes.

As for the degrees of accuracy of our measurement, a different point of course and contentious as if I measure 0.34ohm but my megger has an accuracy of +/- 0.05ohm, then actually I can only be aware that the Ze is between 0.29 and 0.39 ohm, which could be in spec' or not!

The installation we design should comply with the ranges allowed, so for example if I design for a site that has a pme of 0.2ohm, I would still design for 0.35ohm, as this is the limit (or 0.8 ohms for your TNS example).

0.35 is not the limit for PME, it is a typical maximum value for most supplies.

If you look at UKPNs specifications for example they state a typical maximum of 0.35ohm for an older 100A supply but that they design all new 100A supplies to a limit of 0.25ohm.
Obviously these figures then go down as the supply size goes up.

Interesting topic. If we were to design according to our DNO's quoted values, rather than measured, this would presumably include the max quoted fault current. In Western Power's case this is 16kA (single phase, LV), which would mean I would be unable to fit standard 6kA breakers in all circumstances.

0.35 is not the limit for PME, it is a typical maximum value for most supplies.

If you look at UKPNs specifications for example they state a typical maximum of 0.35ohm for an older 100A supply but that they design all new 100A supplies to a limit of 0.25ohm.
Obviously these figures then go down as the supply size goes up.

Agree, but if the limit as defined in the 18th is used, then just like everything else, I have a valid defence in court should something happen.

If I used 0.2 ohm, and it failed to clear in time, and I have to justify my design I could be up a certain creak sans paddle. Using the published limits from the infamous book, I have a valid defence.
[automerge]1581417106[/automerge]
Interesting topic. If we were to design according to our DNO's quoted values, rather than measured, this would presumably include the max quoted fault current. In Western Power's case this is 16kA (single phase, LV), which would mean I would be unable to fit standard 6kA breakers in all circumstances.

Not necessarily, the main fuse would limit the actual let-through at those sorts of current levels, but it becomes a more complicated calculation than we would normally use.

The correct voltage is >50v being the highest amount of touch voltage that is acceptable. Therefore the figure of 1667 ohms max.
i.e. RA x Ideltan less than or equal to 50v. 411.5.3

Reply to TNS Ze 0.8Ohms in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock