Discuss To bend or not to bend? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When I was an apprentice both the college and my journeyman drilled into me that cables should be doubled before terminating if possible, particularly when only one cable is terminated in each terminal e.g the final socket in a radial or a spurred socket.
Was just on a Facebook group there and according to that it’s discouraged these days as bending radii etc. is violated and it introduces a weak point into the cable.
Personally I disagree with the opinion that it’s outdated and even rough, I believe it helps to ensure a better connection on smaller solid core conductors and it’s not as if the bend is carrying much of any current... usually the bend being further back from where the screw bites into the conductor. Again where no stress or strain will be on the bend.

It depends entirely on the type of terminal, the type of cable and how well the two suit each other. Part of the craft of being an electrician is knowing how to make excellent connections between any two conductors or components and no one method is best for all permutations. My preferences would be for example:

Cage clamp matched to cable - don't double. Achieves nothing but could relax after thermal cycling if not lying exactly flat across terminal, and can reduce pressure unnecessarily.
Cage clamp too big for cable - probably still don't double.
Direct pinch screw terminal matched to cable - double solid if possible, don't double stranded. Pressure at screw tip often very high when screw is secure against thermal cycling and can deeply indent and weaken solid conductor. Doubling reduces pressure which is often desirable, and adds elasticity.
Direct pinch screw terminal too big for cable - always double, to avoid conductor slewing across terminal or slipping up side of screw.
Etc. etc.

Having one rule for all is like driving the same way in all weather and road conditions. I would automatically take into account factors such as quality of terminal screw threads, material of screw and shape of tunnel, whether the bared end of conductor has already been handled and work-hardened etc.

Reply to To bend or not to bend? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net