Discuss to bond or not to bond? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BMelectrics

Evening all,

I as doing a new kitchen install today, and noticed that the main incoming water supply is done in plastic.

The stopcock and pipes running out to an outside tap are in copper however.

I was wondering if it is wise to introduce a potential difference by bonding the copper sections, but the surrounding circuits in this area are rcd protected so no supplementary bonding required.

I have attached a pic, this seems to be a grey area.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WP_000044.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 76
Looking at it, it's highly unlikely that you'll be needing any main protective bonding.
The leg to the tap should certainly NOT be bonded and is often fitted with a plastic insert to isolate any bonding that is required.

The kitchen is not a special location so would not need supplementary bonding anyway.

Quite simply, no.
If it was a requirement to bond that set up then we'd have to bond every installation in the land, that should be a delight to see for every electrician.
I bet you ain't as lucky with the gas though.

Just test between the MET and the incoming service, and if a reading greater than 23k ohms no need to bond. If less, needs bonding to bring to the same potential.... I.e less than 0.05 ohms.
Simple to do, and a guaranteed method.
GN8.
You will find a lot of services don't need bonding, as they are not a parallel path to earth.
Hope this helps

thanks guys,

yeah the previous spark had taken a 6mm c.p.c from a nearby socket and bonded the copper stopcock.......This was probably unessesary.

Reply to to bond or not to bond? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Not sure on this one. Mains water is coming up from the ground in lead pipe in bathroom. 2 inches of copper pipe before the stop tap. All...
Replies
Views
Hello, Carrying out remedial work on a commercial site and I've come across a metal out building that has a water supply to it. The water pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi there, I’m a new member to the forum and felt like I could do with some additional insight into a fault I came across on a call-out at the...
Replies
Views
What are the regulations requirements on Earth bonding ? I am currently planning a 1st fix re wire I have the following setup Gas Meter...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, has anyone got any experience of resistances through press fit plumbing fittings? Just been to a job I did last year which was a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock