Discuss To connect old turntable to mains earth or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

lecky_bob

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am renovating an old vinyl turntable (Thorens TD-150 mkII is anyone cares)

It is fitted with a 2-core mains cable, but there are lots of metal parts including sub-chassis and a 240v motor! Normally this is all earthed via the amplifier (phono leads), but I have swapped the 2-core for a 3-core and earthed the sub-chassis to the mains earth. The arm itself is still earthed via the amplifier but is not connected to the sub-chassis or motor.

Question for the experts: which is safer? Have I done something dangerous by earthing to mains this way?

Thanks

Hi Guys,
I am renovating an old vinyl turntable (Thorens TD-150 mkII is anyone cares)

It is fitted with a 2-core mains cable, but there are lots of metal parts including sub-chassis and a 240v motor! Normally this is all earthed via the amplifier (phono leads), but I have swapped the 2-core for a 3-core and earthed the sub-chassis to the mains earth. The arm itself is still earthed via the amplifier but is not connected to the sub-chassis or motor.

Question for the experts: which is safer? Have I done something dangerous by earthing to mains this way?

Thanks

What was the reason for changing the cable?
According to the manual, it looks like it doesn't need an earth.
You may have introduced some interference in sound quality by adding it though. I do remember a bloke at work talking about 'earth loops' in amps, but I would wait for more knowledgeable people in this to confirm my thoughts.

@Spoon Thanks for the reply. You are right about the sound quality, but that is another whole topic!! I went for the earth to mains because of an earth-loop hum, and for safety.
Sound is perfect, but is it safe?

@Spoon Thanks for the reply. You are right about the sound quality, but that is another whole topic!! I went for the earth to mains because of an earth-loop hum, and for safety.
Sound is perfect, but is it safe?
It can't be made less safe by earthing the metalwork and it may be the insulation wouldn't meet current standards for double-insulated products. I'd leave the earth on if it isn't affecting performance.

The point about earth loops is correct but it looks like the arm is isolated anyway, so adding an earth to the chassis shouldn't create a loop with the ground between cartridge and amplifier.

Have had a few Thorens turntables over the years, including a TD150 MkII and a couple of TD160s. I would personally leave it as it was with the 2 core and the flying earth lead. It will be safe and may well work OK how you have it, but there is a risk of low level hum.

Great turntables the Thorens, although the price of them has now become a bit extortionate lately! Still cheaper than a Sondek though eh.

Adding an earth will not cure an earth-loop hum because this type of hum is caused by too many connections to earth in different places. It might cure other types of hum, such as those caused by unscreened cables near large pieces of floating metalwork.

If the arm ground is not connected to the chassis, e.g. because the arm is on an insulating armboard and its cables make no connections within the TT other than to the arm, then adding your 3-core flex will not create an earth-loop either, and you won't have made the TT any less safe. So, as per Shoei, there's no harm in it.

If you still have a hum problem, tell us about the rest of the configuration. Although this is an electrical forum, I (and maybe others) have a background in professional audio electronic engineering.

FWIW I use both a TD125 and an LP12

Lucien, interested to know what speakers and amplification you use. I don't think you'd use Naim amps - I'm thinking probably valve amp as your main one.

Incorrect - it needs the flying earth lead connecting to the earth terminal provided on the amplifier. You will get hum if not.

Manufacturers instructions state no earth does it not?

Manufacturers instructions state no earth does it not?

The Thorens decks I have had have always had a flying lead which needs to be connected to the earth terminal on the amplifier. There is a chance he has a version which doesn't, but I doubt it. I've had a 150Mk2 (albeit many years ago) and it had the earth lead.

I suspect it may be missing and this is why there is hum.

what speakers and amplification you use
Depends where I am, items circulate, plus some kit is in storage at the mo. Example systems:
Spendor SP1 + S/S amp of my own design (last seen in living room, now in storage)
Kef Concerto + Pioneer SX-1980 (study, Sony TA-5650 stood in for Pioneer for a while)
B&W DM1 + Quad 520 (workbench #1) + optional sub various
Leak Sandwich + 2x Leak TL12+ or Richard Allan A41 (workbench #2)

Some nice stuff there. Currently have a nice pair of Wharfedale Dovedale IIIs but have had load of different ones in the past. Quad 405/2 power amplifier was nice paired with Arcam Delta 2 speakers. Have had Leak TL10s which I picked up second hand around 20 years ago for £30 for the pair! Wish I'd kept them.

My dad had some Pro 9TL home built transmission line loudspeakers. They were fantastic - amazing sound. 3 way design and used the legendary Kef B139 polystyrene bass driver. Weighed a LOT. Driven by an old Trio receiver which had a motorised tuner dial.

I used a couple of unbreakable H+H 100w amps feeding WEM cabinets...they were for my disco setup, but sounded great in the house! Leak Deltas with Shure cartridges..oh, how envious were my mates with their Garrard sp25 Mk 4 decks and Goldrings and, yes, AMSTRAD amps!
fk! that was 45 years ago!
Those H+H amps though...

Reply to To connect old turntable to mains earth or not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock