Discuss To Mem or not ? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, Am doing a industrial job that will be using 32Amp three phase welders, there is not a masive budget on this job but common sense tells me to use Mem excel isolators due to the breaking currents but do you think I could get away with rotaries instead to keep the cost down or are they all cheaply made and a no go for this type of equipment.
Reason i ask is all will be on 3p&E sockets anyway, job has quite a few supplies i'm running and wanted to keep it uniform but the cost is knocking it up higher than i wanted. was just after your thoughts. cheers.

Bearing in mind when the switch is opened it will see a back EMF from the welder the switch needs be suitably rated for breaking inductive loads ie AC 3

Cheers for your input guys, all much as i thought just needed a prod.
Thanks Paul I was aware of PUWER but TBH I thought it was general H&S stuff but not read it all as got bored when i had it mentioned some time back, from your comment I best read it through in case points are relevant to this.

I have not done many welders in the past, perhaps a couple of small ones years ago from memory so thought better gen up a bit, One I remember was two phase, which I understand is quite common. These are three phase and balanced as far as I know and running off the same sub-board so any tips I should take heed of would be good. If not pre-wired I was looking at SY as on plug, can you see any issues with that. cheers.

Edit
Did not say whoops, will be three or four on same DB.

Reply to To Mem or not ? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net