Discuss To Notify or Not to Notify, To Bond or Not to Bond clarification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope you are all well and all is good!

I am looking for some guidance as per the title please.

I really would appreciate some guidance on what is notifiable in a bathroom and what is not and under what circumstances do you have to upgrade / install bonding?

For example if replacing an accessorie like for like in a bathroom, I believe that to be non notifiable, however, am being given conflicting info, if I were to establish bonding is missing would that then mean I have to upgrade the bonding too?

I have looked through the 18th edition and OSG but am still struggling to get clarification.

Many thanks,

Martin

Like for like replacements would not require notification however you must consider earthing arrangements and whether the installation is safe for continued use. Supplementary bonding and/or additional rcd protection maybe required in addition to your works.

Hi Westward,

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean maybe required in addition to your works? How do I know, where can I find the guidance / regs etc?

Many thanks,

Martin

Westward,

I guess kinda both, ive been asked to do it, but do minimial electrical work as its not my occupation, however, am more interested in knowing the answer I guess.

What difference does it make?

Main bonding and RCD protection should be in place before you carry out any new works..

However

If you are being asked to say replace a broken accessory it could be argued you can change just the accessory without having to upgrade the entire electrical installation.

If you can be specific in your example, then it might be easier to give an opinion on what should be done. Bathrooms are a Special Location in the Regulations and have their own section. Under Part P it's required that electrical work in a bathroom be notified and receive approval. However, the change of a shaver unit (for example) should not require notification, but would trigger an assessment for safety (from me :)).

Morning all,

It is literally to replace a broken extractor fan.

Many thanks,

Martin

Then section 701 is quite relevant regarding zones, IP ratings, and RCD protection. The other considerations mentioned above regarding earthing and bonding and other safety checks pertaining to compliance with 132.16 are also important.

My opinion, is that one of the main requirements of the Regulations, is that the work you conduct does not impair the safety of the installation.
641.5 For an addition or alteration to an existing installation, it shall be verified that the addition or alteration complies with the Regulations and does not impair the safety of the existing installation.“
If you are just replacing an existing fan on a like for like basis, then there should be no need for you to do anything else.

That being said, you are required to inform the householder or duty holder about any defects or dangerous conditions you notice.

Circuits that supply equipment in bath or shower rooms require RCD protection.
So if you were installing a new circuit, or extending any part of a circuit within a bath or shower room, you would have to provide RCD protection for that circuit.
Notification would be required for a new circuit anywhere, and where a circuit is extended within any zone in a bath or shower room.

agree with spin. like for like replacement should be just that, while observing the necessary IP rating for the fan in it's specific location.

Reply to To Notify or Not to Notify, To Bond or Not to Bond clarification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock