Discuss To RCD or not...?! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

londonlec

Hey Guys,

Kitchen socket outlets within living accomodation in a boarding school?

I am altering/adding to the existing circuit.

My guess is cables buried <50mm won't need RCD as its a supervised environment.

But I feel the sockets will need protection.

I cant even find the DB at the moment, so am thinking along the lines of SRCD's.

Any views would be much appreciated!

If the new additions you add have cables that are buried <50mm then those cables need to be RCD protected. Being in a supervised area does not mean you can omit an RCD on cables buried less than 50mm. RCD the circuit in my opinion

As I couldn't (easily) locate the DB, I am concerned an RCD trip will knock out a whole floor until maintenance can find the RCD/RCBO.

I would agree with Hawk81, not sure if its must do under the regs, but i do know that all general purpose RCD's do need RCD protection. 415.1.1 and other regs in that area will clarify the situation. But whether or not the cables need RCD protection or not Hawks post does make good sense and if nothing else err's on the side of caution. If i recall there was a recent post regarding a teacher stapling kids posters to the wall ad hoc using a handheld stapler, one of which pierced the neutral conductor. So the install maybe under supervision, but Miss doesn't give a ---- when her kids posters need to be put up.

Cheers...........Howard

Is the kitchen a ring on its own?

I am not sure at the moment, without getting my fuse finder out.

I 'suspect' it is part of a large ring covering a few rooms (with stud walls).

My new cable will be chased in behind tiles, so unless 'Miss' is using a Paslode, we should be ok ;)

It is only for cables that there is an exception for the requirement to provide RCD protection if the installation is under the control of a skilled or instructed person.
Socket-outlets for general use by ordinary persons, must be provided with RCD protection, unless their use is to be supervised by skilled or instructed persons.

Bottom line here is the fact that we're discussing whether or not to spend £25ish on an RCD/RCBO, or can we find a way to wriggle out.

The socket outlets can be used for general purposes, by unskilled people, and we can't guarantee mechanical protection of the cable that supplies them.

Where's the wriggle in that?

Im a Kiwi living In NZ where i should be, I dont know much about your Regs but by god the world of the Electrician is rife with rules and bloody regulations and all the idiots out there that electricute themselves just make the job so much harder.
I spent 2 hours today trying to establish why the RCD's I installed would not hold in, still haven't resolved the problem, i hate the bloody things.

I'm not wriggling. I am trying to avoid a fault in one room knocking out 5+ dormatories, which is my eyes is more dangerous/inconvenient.

I'm not wriggling. I am trying to avoid a fault in one room knocking out 5+ dormatories, which is my eyes is more dangerous/inconvenient.

Surely there's some form of emergency lighting throughout the corridors etc?

Also, providing the lights and sockets that you're concerned with are on separate RCD/RCBO's then even if there is an out there will be adequate form of separation to avoid a problem?

Finding that DB is top priority so that you can assess the current design and then base your decision on facts rather than If's but's and maybe's.

Good Luck, I look forward to following your updates:thumbsup

Regards

1SC

Last edited by a moderator:
bit off point but...Worth once established DB details etc to ask what will be in use in kitchen, as you said maybe other rooms. We had a situation once where RCD boards were put in school. only to have a trip over bank hol weekend. had £15,000 of food go up the sHOOT because no one there to reset or even notice the trip. reason was the kitchen was on circuit with few class rooms. the rewire that preceded requested seperate circuits for the Fridges and freezers..

cant see why a rcd is likely to cause problems providing the circuits are good , so many people see rcds as a problem i never have problems and only see benefits with them.

Reply to To RCD or not...?! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net