Discuss Today the day for a full 365 day reading on my solar equipment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

puddy

I wanted to see what my solar equipment system was doing in real time when my system was installed so I brought a solar-log 200 web/wireless monitor which connects to my Fronius 15 months ago

I found a brilliant android app called solaranalyzer (spellings correct) yesterday from play store and downloaded it to my nexus 7 tablet. I brought the £15 top of the range version but they do sell lower spec versions if your budget wont stretch

System

Reading from 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Jan 2012 to December 31[SUP]st[/SUP] 2012

Fronius IG 30 inverter 2.6kw System

Fronius wireless plug in card

Solar-log 200 Wi-Fi

Revenue £1245.39p

Generated 2703.3kWh

Best day 26 may generated 19.3kWh Revenue £ 8.89

Plus the 38% drop in our electric bills with solar and economy 10 electric tariff

I don’t own the system it was installed by HomeSun free under the rent a roof scheme. Being home most of the time these days it was a good choice for us at the time.

If you want to pay even less in your electric bill go on the Economy 10 tariff we are with EDF and Eon offer it. You may need to push for it hard. As in its name you get 10 hours off peak between midnight to 6 am (GMT) then 2 hours then 1pm to 4pm (GMT) then 8pm-10pm (GMT) Most meter fitters say they don’t have economy 10 meters anymore they tried that with me so I phoned up EDF and asked what was going on they said gives 20 minutes we will get back to you, next call from the meter fitters was to book us an appointment the next day

. I brought my Solar-log hardware direct the software at the time was basic for computers plus take in to account tablet devices were not a round at the time/today prices but monitoring software which at the time was poor considering the equipment cost and setup. Being disabled and unable to get in the loft solar-log promised to install it free for me. But as soon as I bought it they reneged on the fitting and have not been in touch since, not even to say they tied up with solar analyzer to offer a better experience

Great to see that the rent-a-roof option is working for you. For a lot of people it IS a good option and those that took the plunge will reap the benefits. As the FIT reduces, rent-a-roof suppliers will be fewer and fewer.

I thought rent a roof would only do 4 kwp south facing.

so the actual revenue of £1245.39p went to home sun not yourself ?
Because Homesun have failed to install a export meter the only get half of that, I am happy with the saving on my electric bill

The Immersun is a good option for the 'rent a roof' lot. Increase the use of what you have available for free, also programmable to boost in your off peak window.

If I had a hot water tank I would buy the immersun system today but my house is fitted with a Boilermate 2000. I have a normal boiler not a combi boiler

I went with Homesun because I am at home all the time and not working didn’t want to borrow the money from the bank especially as I just paid my mortgage off I didn’t want loan secured to home again.

I also like the fact if anything goes wrong with pv kit its homesun problem not mine.

Because Homesun have failed to install a export meter the only get half of that, I am happy with the saving on my electric bill

Hmm, this doesn't sound right to me. The £1,245 is the FIT money which has nothing to do with the export meter. FIT money is paid on the generation meter.

Hmm, this doesn't sound right to me. The £1,245 is the FIT money which has nothing to do with the export meter. FIT money is paid on the generation meter.

HomeSun can only claim for 50% of what’s on the accumulation meter because we have first call on the electricity generated.

If they had fitted an export meter instead of the accumulation they would be paid 100% of what the export meter showed. that how it was explained to me am I wrong?

HomeSun can only claim for 50% of what’s on the accumulation meter because we have first call on the electricity generated.

If they had fitted an export meter instead of the accumulation they would be paid 100% of what the export meter showed. that how it was explained to me am I wrong?

Yeah, I think you have the export meter confused with the generation meter. HomeSun will be paid for 100% of the figure shown on the generation meter. As there is no export meter (there rarely is on domestic installs) then the supplier assumes 50% export. The export tariff is seperate from the feed-in-tariff. In the absence of a meter it is assumed that this figure will be 50% of what is shown on the generation meter.

Yeah, I think you have the export meter confused with the generation meter. HomeSun will be paid for 100% of the figure shown on the generation meter. As there is no export meter (there rarely is on domestic installs) then the supplier assumes 50% export. The export tariff is seperate from the feed-in-tariff. In the absence of a meter it is assumed that this figure will be 50% of what is shown on the generation meter.

You know the point I was trying to make

I thought rent a roof would only do 4 kwp south facing.

so the actual revenue of £1245.39p went to home sun not yourself ?

No only 50% went to homesun. Look on android play store for the app I used. I only brought the export meter up because homesun where going to fit one as a test

I think you'll find £1245.39 went to Homesun. As explained above, they will claim 100% of the Feed-in Tarrif which is 45-odd pence per kWh applied to the total generation. On top of that they will claim 3ish pence export tariff on 50% of the total generation.

I do, and I still think you're confused. The all of the £1,245 will go to HomeSun as FITs payments. You have benefitted from the free electricity.
So they get £1,245 plus 50% of what shows on the meter as a export allowance too. Still I couldn't of got a loan to have it fitted myself even if I wanted. So how much will they get in total?

Assuming that they are taking the export tariff too (most do) then they get £84 for export and £1,245 for FIT which makes £1,329 altogether.

It sounds like rent-a-roof is a good option for you. Not everyone can get the loan for it and while paying for it yourself IS the best option, rent-a-roof is better than having no system at all. Especially in 5 years time when everyone is paying a fortune for their electricity and none of your neighbours have a system. :)

Assuming that they are taking the export tariff too (most do) then they get £84 for export and £1,245 for FIT which makes £1,329 altogether.

It sounds like rent-a-roof is a good option for you. Not everyone can get the loan for it and while paying for it yourself IS the best option, rent-a-roof is better than having no system at all. Especially in 5 years time when everyone is paying a fortune for their electricity and none of your neighbours have a system. :)

Thank you for explaining so much for me today

These days if you go in to a bank and start asking for loans over £6000 at £110 a month it would take over 7 years to pay back/service the monthly payments. The bank would want to secure it against my home having just paid off my mortgage I would not want to risk it just to get solar.

Then over 20 years how many inverters would need to be replaced? I was told they would last 7-10 years is that true? If it goes wrong it’s not my problem.

It was the best option for me plus because I am ill and on a oxygen machine that uses 300w an hour 15 to 20 hours a day they pay me about 18p per unit then theirs economy 10 tariff cheap rate then other free electric from the solar. I only put the kitchen equipment one at a time once the suns out or off peak between 1pm til 4pm (GMT)

It works for my set off circumstances

ps

I am quite new to android I only found out 4 days ago that this app worked or their were apps out there and it gives so much information, the monitoring software that came with the solar-log 200 Wi-Fi displayed was so basic and I could only display the info on our computers. It never displayed costing either. I linked the info on to my Nexus 7 tablet. For those who run companies installing solar have you looked for programs using android software on play store for your customers? What other monitoring equipment out there for the home user and is it getting cheaper?

Reply to Today the day for a full 365 day reading on my solar equipment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock