Discuss today's fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
RCD tripped. narrowed down to SWA feeding hot tub. never seen SWA connected like this before. armour not earthed anywhere. was supposedly professionally installed. the pic shows a 30mA plug-in power breaker RCD, the type you'd fit to a lawn mower cable!

today's fault 047 - EletriciansForums.net

disconnected both ends and IR tested SWA . L/E 0.04 Meg. N/E 0.23 Meg. 40m of SWA, partly buried. half way down had been repaired? with choc block and tape.

so , it's quote for new SWA, glands, ad. box, correct installation. what i'm not happy with is that it's fed from the garage sub-main which is in turn fed from the house RCD in a split board, so a fault will take out all in the house except lighting. now, i've not done any work on hot tubs, but my thinking is to feed the garage sub. from the non protected side of the house ( it's fed in SWA ) and then fit RCBO in the sub. to cover the garage socket ( just a fridge/freezer) and a 13A FCU to feed the SWA to the hot tub. anyone see a flaw in this? worked out the VD at 13A to be 9.5V using 40m of 2.5mm SWA.

Not had much to do with hot tubs neither. Not many people up here have even herd of a bath, let alone a hot tub. But it sounds ok to me. Just be carefull with the frdge/freezer on the rcbo, if it trips and they dont know until a few days later, all the beer and food for the bbq will be ruined.

P.s. You have big thumbs!!!!!!!

Jay

hmm. as the cables to the fridge/freezer socket are surface.i could leave on MCB and label as dedicated socket, then a RCD FCU for the hot tub. might have to fit a RCD socket for tool use though.

it's not that big. you know how these wide angle lenses distort--- make guys look like they got huge noses? well it's the same.

shhh, it's not my thumb. it's my big toe.

With my Sherlock Holmes hat on,I would deduce you are left handed

"Where are the nicotine stains on the right hand Watson"
wrong on both counts, sherlock. i'm right handed, and don't suffer from nicotine stains, only on my facial hair.

and i use that thumbnail for tightening roofing bolts.

it's not that big. you know how these wide angle lenses distort--- make guys look like they got huge noses? well it's the same.

I dont need any help from wide angle lenses to make my nose look big. My 9 year old says it looks like the slope at Xcape in Castleford. I do however need a wide angle lense for something else.........or so the wife tells me...lol

Jay

wife's glasses.....
today's fault {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I wonder if anyone can help me..? I have installed a new RCD board in a house that has wiring system of different ages (the guy was strongly opposed on the idea of a full rewire) the previous board being a random assortment of big old fused isolators for each circuit under his stairs. All the circuits held fine apart from the 3 rings. One of the legs for downstairs ring was wired in steel, could this cause a trip? Or am I likely looking for earth faults not picked up by his previous medieval protection?

New to this so apologies if this is in the wrong place, and thanks in advance for any help...

You should have carried out an EICR before replacing the CU mate. This would have identified any faults beforehand.
When you say wired in steel what do you mean by that?
What test results were obtained for the RFCs?

a new RCD board in a house that has wiring system of different ages

The only correlation between them that I can see, both the wiring system and tels big toe, both are ancient

I wonder if anyone can help me..? I have installed a new RCD board in a house that has wiring system of different ages (the guy was strongly opposed on the idea of a full rewire) the previous board being a random assortment of big old fused isolators for each circuit under his stairs. All the circuits held fine apart from the 3 rings. One of the legs for downstairs ring was wired in steel, could this cause a trip? Or am I likely looking for earth faults not picked up by his previous medieval protection?

New to this so apologies if this is in the wrong place, and thanks in advance for any help...

You would be better off starting a new thread for this one. Btw, are you an electrician?

Reply to today's fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock