Discuss Toilet light not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I can think of several causes why the light stopped working, but wonder if anyone did any fault finding, rather than randomly start changing components?

First I'd check the switch? Next, is there an incoming L feed from the previous light on the circuit (fault could easily be at the previous light (or equally a break in the N return)?

You need something more than a neon screwdriver or non-contact 'pen' detector to check properly, these can be misleading.

The fan is probably one of the last places I'd look (other than loose wiring at some badly made junction if the fan was added at some point).

I can think of several causes why the light stopped working, but wonder if anyone did any fault finding, rather than randomly start changing components?

First I'd check the switch? Next, is there an incoming L feed from the previous light on the circuit (fault could easily be at the previous light (or equally a break in the N return)?

You need something more than a neon screwdriver or non-contact 'pen' detector to check properly, these can be misleading.

The fan is probably one of the last places I'd look (other than loose wiring at some badly made junction if the fan was added at some point).
Me I would change the lamp first!!

Have you changed any light fittings or switches anywhere else in the property?
Also, turn each breaker off and back on one at a time, sometimes they can trip but still appear on.

Could it be the switch if the switch has three switches?

Sometimes you will find with a toilet that has been added/converted it is powered using a FCU (fused connection unit) from a socket circuit and not, as one might expect, from one of the lighting circuits.

Check at your CU (consumer unit = fusebox) in case there is something that has tripped, but also look around the toilet area for anything looking a bit like one of these:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white/13479

If so you might find it has a 3A fuse that blew with a failed lamp.

Could it be the switch if the switch has three switches?
I presume you mean a 3-gang switch (one switch is for the toilet, the other two for other lights). Yes, certainly one switch can fail, or even something simple like a wire loose and fallen out of a terminal.

Sometimes you will find with a toilet that has been added/converted it is powered using a FCU (fused connection unit) from a socket circuit and not, as one might expect, from one of the lighting circuits.

Check at your CU (consumer unit = fusebox) in case there is something that has tripped, but also look around the toilet area for anything looking a bit like one of these:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white/13479

If so you might find it has a 3A fuse that blew with a failed lamp.
Bathroom light & fan in my house is fed via a switched fused connection unit from an RCD protected ring final rather than the non RCDed lighting loop

Reply to Toilet light not working in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock