Discuss tonights call out. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ian

I was called out an elderly ladies house tonight. When I arrived there I noticed that he was in the process of the house being redecorated from top to bottom. I started to investigate the fault which was the socket circuit was blowing the fuse, when I did a IR test it indicated a dead short. The decorator had removed some of the sockets to wall paper behind them and the old rubber cabling was that badly deteriorated it fell away from some of the cables. It’s a shame because the house is about 90% decorated and now its going to need rewired.

[FONT=&quot]Ian [/FONT]

I came across one like that a little while ago and the owners practically kicked me out when i told them what needed doing. Their kitchen lights had been spurred of the immersion circuit as well. The nice lady told me they hadnt had an electrician in their house for 30 years so there was no way they could have any dodgy wiring!
You just cant help some people

I was called out an elderly ladies house tonight. When I arrived there I noticed that he was in the process of the house being redecorated from top to bottom. I started to investigate the fault which was the socket circuit was blowing the fuse, when I did a IR test it indicated a dead short. The decorator had removed some of the sockets to wall paper behind them and the old rubber cabling was that badly deteriorated it fell away from some of the cables. It’s a shame because the house is about 90% decorated and now its going to need rewired.

[FONT=&amp]Ian [/FONT]
Are they going to send the bill to the decorator because it was 'fine until he got there'?

Unfortunately there is a fine line between you being the giver of good common sense advice, and the bringer of bad news.
Always an awkward one this, good luck.

Why should the home owners worry about the electrics when everything looks great after a lick of paint? Sorry lads its just me being synical.

That is a fine example as to why money should be spent on advertising the importance of an electrical PIR.

It appears to me that the only ones who are doing anything about it is some mortgage companies when houses are being bought and sold. Even then though, it's about ensuring the property value is correct, not that the installation is safe.

We live in a RIP OFF world, Electricity to most people only makes itself known when something goes wrong, that coupled with a mindset of "If its not broke don't fix it"
You have to see it from their perspective. When they say its been fine for years, thats true. Now begins the proccess of educating them, I show them the problems, and hazards, and let them tell me its wrong.

The biggest problem was that she thought i was trying to get her to pay me to sort it. i was trying to tell her that i was only there to check the immersion and had no interest in doing the job as i lived 2 hours away. i said she should have a periodic done by a local company and then get a few quotes for whatever work was needed. she said i was just trying to scare her and thought it was ridiculous that anyone would have their electrics checked every 10 years. its the first time ive ever had a problem with a customer. they may choose to ignore your advice but at least they usually listen first.

You done your job m8 you can sleep at night, if they dont want to listen to a pro then what more can you do. Its sad but its the way a the world.
The biggest problem was that she thought i was trying to get her to pay me to sort it. i was trying to tell her that i was only there to check the immersion and had no interest in doing the job as i lived 2 hours away. i said she should have a periodic done by a local company and then get a few quotes for whatever work was needed. she said i was just trying to scare her and thought it was ridiculous that anyone would have their electrics checked every 10 years. its the first time ive ever had a problem with a customer. they may choose to ignore your advice but at least they usually listen first.

Mayfair is right, you can only make them aware, once done the final decision on what they are going to do about it is up to them, as he says youv'e done your bit in good faith, can't ask anymore than that.

Reply to tonights call out. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net