Discuss Too many or not enough..... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

trouble is, i think, that they are guidance notes and codes of practice, and not real regulations.

Now if you REALLY want to sort out the cowboys, make BS7671 a statutory document, now THAT would set the cat among the pigeons:D:eek:

Well, I think the way it works is that BS:7671, wiring regs are not enforcable by law, However, They are a guide. So if you kill someone with the work you do, the procecution will use the regs against you, and you will be analy violated.

The trouble with making BS 7671 law is there are a few flaws in the book
16 Edition - Look at page 116 54G, all CPC up to 16mm should be the same size as the phase.
The only one I know that meets this requirement, in house wiring, is the Imm twin + earth.

the reason t&e has different cpc sizes is because cable manufacturers calulate their cable sizes rather than use 54g
havent got my current regs handy but in this one start with 543-01-01

as for making regs statuary they would have to be rewritten to remove ambiguous language and and indefinable terms like"good workmanship and proper materials"
then you would need a lawyer to understand them

Last edited by a moderator:
alan...don't know what flaw u mean??

if the cpc isn't the same csa as the phase/line then u have to calculate its suitability using the equation in 543-01-03.

Adiabatic equation......not a diabetic ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The flaw is you have a table stating a fact that is not adhered to.
If it is different in other parts of the book it does not matter it is still a flaw.
And if the BS 7671 was law- you end up with one lawyer quote one rule and other quoting another. Which will be nonsense. I heard on the gripe vine that the 17th as a few flaws.

still don't see the flaw...

the table's to be used if you can't be bothered to use the equation, basically. you have to use either one or the other to determine the cpc size.

The flaw is you have a table stating a fact that is not adhered to.
If it is different in other parts of the book it does not matter it is still a flaw.
And if the BS 7671 was law- you end up with one lawyer quote one rule and other quoting another. Which will be nonsense. I heard on the gripe vine that the 17th as a few flaws.

oh theres flaws allright

like appendix 15 which shows a radial circuit and describes it as 'starting and finishing at the distribution board' (or words to that effect)

that's a ring main to me

and the formula for getting rid of supplementry bonds in the bathroom (you know, as long as extraenous conductive parts are less than 1667 ohms to MET)

If you read the formula EXACTLY as it is written in the book you get a figure of over
383Kohms!!!!!

Perhaps making Part P which is statutory enforced, and making annual Condition Reporting a statutory requirement and any infringement of the above subject to prosecution would get rid of cowboys and shoddy work.

I am from another country where the Regs are statutory and any infringement causing or contributing to shock, death or fire carries a two year prison sentence

Reply to Too many or not enough..... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock