Discuss Too much work, how to cope with it all.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning Chaps
Just wanted some advice I’m a sole trader one man band electrician I’ve had my firm about 3 years and built it up slowly, recently taken on some larger projects like new builds etc for builder I know. I’m now in the position where I’m booked up until August. My worry is I’ve just had a regular contact me asking for shed power but I can’t fit her until August and that’s no good for her so I’ll likely end up loosing her as a customer which I’m not happy with really.
How do you guys deal with this situation? Do you sub it out? I’m loathed to take anyone on As this could just end up being a busy period so I could end up having nothing for them once it’s all over.
Any help or advice is appreciated

Just wanted some advice I’m a sole trader one man band electrician I’ve had my firm about 3 years and built it up slowly, recently taken on some larger projects like new builds etc for builder I know. I’m now in the position where I’m booked up until August. My worry is I’ve just had a regular contact me asking for shed power but I can’t fit her until August and that’s no good for her so I’ll likely end up loosing her as a customer which I’m not happy with really.
How do you guys deal with this situation? Do you sub it out? I’m loathed to take anyone on As this could just end up being a busy period so I could end up having nothing for them once it’s all over.
good for you the work is coming in ,at the time of present most sparks at this time would glad for any work with this virus around ,me I would fit her in has soon has possible the builders can wait you should never lose a good customer ,when the builders no more you be glad for customers like that .

why the dislike peter 1891 I puzzles me when if there is no work coming in then I would complain ,but you have work so if it was me then I would say to the customer I will fit you in has soon has possible before some body taken that work off you .

It is good to be busy, but not to the point it destroys your health or family relationships.
I agree. It’s a real fine balance
[automerge]1590064839[/automerge]
why the dislike peter 1891 I puzzles me when if there is no work coming in then I would complain ,but you have work so if it was me then I would say to the customer I will fit you in has soon has possible before some body taken that work off you .
It wasn’t a dislike it was more a sad face at the thought of having to do sundays but there isn’t a sad face emoji

The way (we) coped with this when I was training, way back was to double our prices. Yes work fell off, but to a manageable level. Now we were getting twice the pay and less frantic work load. We was wiring houses and offices in London mostly the east end and city as well as out to Hornchurch. It was a very effective step in controlling the work flow. Obviously you are not charging enough.

Have a word with local electricians, some will be short of work. You're paying wage only so come to an arrangement. It might help if you're getting plenty of builders' work...you could arrange for a couple of weeks and, if it goes OK, there's a future contact if work builds up.
They're on a wage with no outlay, remember. You need their details for tax purposes but it's not like employing.

Morning Chaps

get a local subby in to help you, be careful who you choose, some will try and wiggle there way in with some of your customers but dontlet this put you off.
KEEP your good customers who got you where you are today, the builders no matter what they promise you could push you out the door without warning!

Morning Chaps
A good problem to have, i am in this situation frequently as i prefer to work on my own and dont want to grow any further

For me its a multi pronged approach, i do the following.....

Increase prices
Decrease the distance im willing to travel
Turn down jobs that are a pain
Turn down jobs that parkings a pain
Turn down jobs the customers a pain
Turn down jobs where the customer is or could potentially be a bad payer
Turn down jobs with a small profit margin

After that you will be left ticking along nicely with good quality work at good prices?

For the shed job just squeeze it in on a weekend if you can

For me its a multi pronged approach, i do the following.....

Increase prices
Decrease the distance im willing to travel
Turn down jobs that are a pain
Turn down jobs that parkings a pain
Turn down jobs the customers a pain
Turn down jobs where the customer is or could potentially be a bad payer
Turn down jobs with a small profit margin
Exactly my approach. The main reason I make decent profit is because I'm fortunate to be busy enough to be turning about half my enquiries away so I can cherrypick customers and take on work that's my core business so I'm set up to do it efficiently.

Exactly my approach. The main reason I make decent profit is because I'm fortunate to be busy enough to be turning about half my enquiries away so I can cherrypick customers and take on work that's my core business so I'm set up to do it efficiently.
Do you not worry in this review culture we now have you’ll get negative reviews about being dismissive or expensive etc? I’m not saying you are I’m just wondering how the client would think.

I think you need to be fair and consistent.
  • If you are busy then you can explain that and offer what is possible. Folk get far more p-off by you not turning up when arranged than by being honestly being told it will take until such-and-such to get it done.
  • Folk may well compare prices, so you need to try and move all work prices generally upwards until demand matches what you can supply and over a period of time. Suddenly doubling looks a tad suspicious!
  • Some sites allow a reply option which can allow you to offer soothing words and see what their issue is, but never get suckered in to arguing on a forum. As the old joke goes "Never argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience".

@Peter1891 are you VAT registered?
And if not, do you plan to be or is it something you want to stay away from?

If it is something you plan to stay away from, then there is a fair chance there is a glass ceiling you will hit that you can't go through without going VAT.

And if so busy under the current circumstances, I'd definitely be reviewing prices to see if too cheap.

Reply to Too much work, how to cope with it all.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock