Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparky_Ben

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I am a doing my tech cert 2330 at college and in the new year I am goin to start and get my tools together. What would you recommend as good tools to have in my kit and what makes to get. I understand that irazola screwdrivers are the best so I am goin for them but what pliers, wire strippers would I need. Could you please let me know as I dont wont to buy tools which wont stand the test of time.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
W

WarrenG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you don't want to mess around trying different cutters, pliers etc - there is only one brand that I will use in my tool kit and thats the German brand Knipex for top quality. As long as you don't blow them of course!! :(

Cost more but you get want you pay for in this game. :)

KNIPEX - The Pliers Company. - Products - (http://www.pliers-online.com)

I also use Irazola (spanish) drivers - good choice!!

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hyperliteliam

Been using bahco screwdrivers for a while now and really liking these. Also dont think you can beat a set of CK combi 3 cutters. But then again its all down to whoevers using them. Personnally i can't get on with the irazolas, but then thats just me.....

S

Sparky_Ben

I thought that knipex were th best after looking around myself, so in th screwfix catalogue there are several types, the com bination pliers, long nose pliers, wite strippers and th cable shears also where would I be able to but that tool which cuts the armoured cable to strip it?
sorry i dont know the name of it

H

hyperliteliam

Kew Tech blade runner...

Most whole salers will do them

O

OilBeDamned

Irazola screwdrivers, dont buy the set just what you need as some you wont ever use.

Knipex snips, pliers if you require them.

Glanding spanners (using footprints or water pump pliers is just rough IMHO)

Voltage tester or fluke rms tester if your doing more industrial jobs.

Hacksaw, jnr hacksaw, allan keys, tape measure and torch.

If working industrial buy a croning tool, 17,19,21 spanners and crimping tool (ratchet type)

If working domestically buy wood saw, floor lifter (bolster works quite well), scotch hammer for raggling, cold chisel, pad saw for cutting out gyproc, holesaw sets for cutting in downlighters and a battery drill.

I thought that knipex were th best after looking around myself, so in th screwfix catalogue there are several types, the com bination pliers, long nose pliers, wite strippers and th cable shears also where would I be able to but that tool which cuts the armoured cable to strip it?
sorry i dont know the name of it
Stanley knife and jnr hacksaw.

Anything else is a waste of time.

S

Sparky_Ben

alright thankyou, out of interest what is a croning tool any links for these.

S

Sparky_Ben

ok thankyou, also do you buy your tools from wholesalers or online? maybe a mixture of both I was thinking if I should buy mine in store as this will be my 1st set of tools and then I can see if they are right.

F

fanta

O

OilBeDamned

ok thankyou, also do you buy your tools from wholesalers or online? maybe a mixture of both I was thinking if I should buy mine in store as this will be my 1st set of tools and then I can see if they are right.
From various places, normally online now as I know what quality comes with different brands.

For your first set do it "in store", stay clear of the likes of your large DIY stores as they are robbing feckers.

Small ironmongers, DIY stores and tool shops will be your best bet.

Where im from we have loads of them.

I use Electrical & Electricians Tools available at Toolbox nowadays for some stuff and RS for the other stuff.

S

Sparky_Ben

just out of interest in a previous post said dont buy the set of irazola screwdrivers just buy the 1's that i will need.
What sizes will be needed slotted and pozi?

O

OilBeDamned

just out of interest in a previous post said dont buy the set of irazola screwdrivers just buy the 1's that i will need.
What sizes will be needed slotted and pozi?
Id leave out the second smallest size of slotted and smallest size pozi as they are of no use (slotted is too wide for switches and not strong enough for much else). The largest slotted is debatable if its required as generally its only worthwhile for the larger terminals in a DB but your largest pozi gives you a better tighten so defeats the purpose of having two, plus the large pozi is excellent for mount celing fixtures.

This is all personal opinion and you will find with time that you get a feel for what you prefer.

I dont use pliers only snips, whereas some other guys in my work dont use snips and only pliers.

Its horses for courses and what you prefer.

Screwdrivers, snips, pliers buy the best you can afford. Most other things you dont really require to buy expensively either.

Rember to keep your receipts and claim for them

M

maddfridge

hi all

for gods sake don nott by draper we are supplied by the company with this rubbish

even the humble wickes screw driver is better love knipex but you pays for what u gets

rs components but you need two morgages to buy anything and a dpc code

cheers

S

Sparky_Ben

rs components is that a brand?
any links for where to get them?

O

OilBeDamned

rs components is that a brand?
any links for where to get them?
Wholesalers, exspensive but good gear.

Im lucky enough to have a tool allowance from my work so I can buy stuff I fancy.

S

Sparky_Ben

thats the thing I dont actually have an employer at the moment so I will have to just buy them out of my own pocket, I am not bothered about this because I might get an employer who wont give me a tool allowance anyway so I would still need to buy them.

O

OilBeDamned

thats the thing I dont actually have an employer at the moment so I will have to just buy them out of my own pocket, I am not bothered about this because I might get an employer who wont give me a tool allowance anyway so I would still need to buy them.
Keep your reciepts for the tax man, plenty of things to claim for once your working.

Even if you are PAYE

S

Sparky_Ben

also been looking at cordless drills i have looked on here but there seems to be a divide between makita and dewalt so a guess it just comes down to personal preference but what I want to know is which is best 18v, 24v, 36v or is that just paying for more power when it isnt needed?

O

OilBeDamned

also been looking at cordless drills i have looked on here but there seems to be a divide between makita and dewalt so a guess it just comes down to personal preference but what I want to know is which is best 18v, 24v, 36v or is that just paying for more power when it isnt needed?
You also need to think what your going to be using your cordless for?

Fixing and drilling holes generally or for screwing.

If your using it for fixings and drilling mainly then get a 36volt drill, if its more for screwing then an 18v will do just fine.

Cordless drills are handy but no substitute for a rawlplug tool :D

S

Sparky_Ben

hmm that has got me thinking now, looks like I will just have to wait for the drill as I dont know what type of work I would be doing. by they way oilbedamned do you have any contacts down here that might be looking for a trainee?

Ok thanks for all the help I have summed up all the tools which have been suggested and put a list together would you all recommend this as a good starting point?

Kewtech blade runner
Irazola screwdrivers
Knipex pliers, snips, wire strippers
Ratchet action crimpers
Allan keys
Tape measure
Torch
Hacksaw and junior hacksaw
Cold chisel and bolster
17.19,21 spanners
Glanding spanners
36v drill depending on job 1st

O

OilBeDamned

hmm that has got me thinking now, looks like I will just have to wait for the drill as I dont know what type of work I would be doing. by they way oilbedamned do you have any contacts down here that might be looking for a trainee?

Ok thanks for all the help I have summed up all the tools which have been suggested and put a list together would you all recommend this as a good starting point?

Kewtech blade runner
Irazola screwdrivers
Knipex pliers, snips, wire strippers
Ratchet action crimpers
Allan keys
Tape measure
Torch
Hacksaw and junior hacksaw
Cold chisel and bolster
17.19,21 spanners
Glanding spanners
36v drill depending on job 1st
Contacted Swan Hunter? They have part of the contract for the new aircraft carriers being built for the navy im sure BAE also have another part of the contract at Barrow in Furness.

The only company I worked for down your way was Watson Norie and they have went to the wall the last I heard.

Shipyards are a good way to get in as they do inhouse retraining, also contacting offshore drilling companies as they can train you up to be an electrician also.

S

Sparky_Ben

thanks for the advice I will try the shipyards, I was also thinking that possibly the railways would be a good way into the trade would you agree?

I am trying to find offshore drilling companies do you know of any names of them?

O

OilBeDamned

thanks for the advice I will try the shipyards, I was also thinking that possibly the railways would be a good way into the trade would you agree?

I am trying to find offshore drilling companies do you know of any names of them?
Railways is another way, just fire your CV out to everyone and keep phoning.

Offshore drilling companies:

KCA Duetag KCA DEUTAG - Careers - Overview

Dolphin Drilling Fred.Olsen Energy ASA - English - Home

Seawell (Seadrill) Seadrill - Drilling &amp Well Seawell

Noble Noble Corporation - Career Center Home

Transocean (Global Santa Fe) Transocean :: Career Center

Schlumberger Schlumberger, Careers&

Baker Oil Tools Baker Hughes - Baker Oil Tools

MI Swaco M-I SWACO

S

Sparky_Ben

thanks for the help I will do, I tried this year but didnt think outside the box really I only tried the contracting companies but i will try the others ways now. you think I should start now or wait untill the new year and just pile all the contacts together first?

O

OilBeDamned

thanks for the help I will do, I tried this year but didnt think outside the box really I only tried the contracting companies but i will try the others ways now. you think I should start now or wait untill the new year and just pile all the contacts together first?
Just batter out your cv now. No point waiting around.

S

Sparky_Ben

Do any of you use britool spanners they seems quite expensive but a mate recommended them so if there good its worth getting them

W

WarrenG

You may want to invest in a bush spanner (very handy spanner - see attached pic) but dependant on your work will depend on whether you require a heep of spanners?

I have used spanners in more Indusrtrial / commercial work but they tend to stay at the bottom of your tool bag unless a large gland needs tightening or you are fitting runs and runs of busbar etc.

Thing to do is buy what you really need now to get yourself going and add to your tool kit as you go along. You will soon find out what tools you need on a regular basis after a while and the bits of kit that will save you time.

S

Sparky_Ben

what would that spanner be used for and any links for where to get thm?

B

bahco

i would invest in some bahco snips if i were you mate.....ive tried knipex there good but once you use bahco i could never go back......bit more expesive but life time guarantee and very sharp!

S

Sparky_Ben

Ok I will look into that where to buy from though ? any links?

B

bahco

city electrical do quite a good range, your better off buying them from a local wholesaler tbh mate, when they go blunt you just take them back and swop them, if you buy them online you cant do that

S

Sparky_Ben

ok thanks thers a city electrical near me so I will have a look in one day after college

B

bahco

no mate life time!

or in my case till i leave them in a loft haha

S

Sparky_Ben

i have just looked for them bahco snips on the city electrical website but it doesnt say that they are VDE rated? is this right?

B

bahco

they do a few different ones, the ones ive got are rated upto 1000v....cant miss them bright orange handles i think the ones that arnt vde are the black and orange handle ones may be wrong though

S

Sparky_Ben

yes it is the orange and black handles on the internet they maybe just havnt got them on their site but I will look into it and go in the shop

W

WarrenG

S

Sparky_Ben

I have been looking for the knifes today and I found a kinpex cable knife, has anyone used one on here? the reason I looked for a cable knife was because my tutor at college told us that a stanley blade wouldnt be allowed on certain building sites?

anyone on here used this

RJ45/RJ11/RJ12 Crimp Tool - CK Tools High Quality from The Crimp Company

seems good really however I dont know what them numbers and letters mean for the different crimps would that be all I would potentially come across.?

W

WarrenG

I have been looking for the knifes today and I found a kinpex cable knife, has anyone used one on here? the reason I looked for a cable knife was because my tutor at college told us that a stanley blade wouldnt be allowed on certain building sites?

anyone on here used this

seems good really however I dont know what them numbers and letters mean for the different crimps would that be all I would potentially come across.?
Ben a simple stanley knife will do what you want and you would only need to use a knife on large cable anyway (to help remove the sheathing) some large SWA for example. So why not save your money and buy a stanley knife for now? Chances are that you would find plenty of use for the stanely knife other than cable which you probably couldn't do with the Knipex. And probably wouldn't want to do with the Knipex one anyway.

Can't see a building site not letting you in with a staney blade, how do the carpet fitters get on? If so news to me?

Crimping tools are another great tool, but once again there is a whole range of them for different sizes of cable and different types of crimps.

Some types of Insulated crimps:

Insulated Crimp Lugs

Some crimp tools:

Ratchet Crimp Tools

If you are looking for a standard crimp tool then the top one on that list covers 1.5mm - 6.0mm

You will see on the crimp tool different coloured codes for different sized crimps.

Hope this helps!

Warren

S

Sparky_Ben

yes that helps alot I thought it would be weird not being allowed a stanley blade so I will go for one of them. If they do more jobs than just one I would imagine this would be better I am new to the trade so was just wanting to know what is acceptable and what is good to have.
thanks

O

OilBeDamned

anyone on here used this

Very few sites have a no stanley knife policy, the only ones I can think of are BAE,BP and Shell sites. They want you to use a lockable blade. Get a stanley with a locking blade (the ones with the small yellow wheel on the side) and thats you covered.

That crimper will more than likely sit in your bag unless your going to be building network systems. A fair bit of money to splash out on something your very unlikely to use at this time.

F

fanta

I work for a national company and stanley knives are strictly prohibited, bloody ridiculous, how can an electrician work without one !!!!!!!

S

Sparky_Ben

So fanta do you use a cable knife such as th knifex one or what do you use?
So for now I will get a stanley but then eventually get a cable knife just to cover myself incase
Agree?

Ok thanks for the comment about the crimper I will just wait then if a job comes up then I will buy one if its needed

B

BigD62

I am a doing my tech cert 2330 at college and in the new year I am goin to start and get my tools together. What would you recommend as good tools to have in my kit and what makes to get. I understand that irazola screwdrivers are the best so I am goin for them but what pliers, wire strippers would I need. Could you please let me know as I dont wont to buy tools which wont stand the test of time.
Hi
What tools did you get in the end?
Im just about to fork out for my own kit and would appreciate any feed back!! from anyone
Thanks

W

WarrenG

Hi
What tools did you get in the end?
Im just about to fork out for my own kit and would appreciate any feed back!! from anyone
Thanks
BigD62 I would look at getting the essentials to begin with because as any spark will tell you on this site it takes ages to build up your tools and it can be a great expense.

I would recommend (even though I am a believer that you get the quality you pay for) save yourself from the very top brands to begin with and then splash out at a later date when you are more comfortable with the use.

Reason I say this is that I have seen so many young sparks go out and buy expensive cutters (for an example) and blow them in two days!

Also there is the chance that tools can be left on jobs, dropped down voids, lost or even stolen.

The list could go on for tools dependant on what area of work you are looking to do but I would highly recommend buying insulated tools 1000V. This will usually be maked on the the tool itself somewhere.

Hope this helps!

Warren

B

BigD62

Thanks warren
I will take your advise, but like you, I would like to use the best tool for the job. The screw drivers you advocate seem to have two types.ive attached an ebay link to the ones ive seen. Can you confirm which are the ones you mean ?:confused:
Kind regards
Duncan Bigd62:)

[FONT=&quot]Sorry warren heres the ebay ink[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]regareds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Duncan
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Irazola 7 Pce 1000V VDE Pozi/Slot Screwdriver Set, 031 on eBay, also, Screwdrivers, Hand Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 21-Dec-08 12:05:42 GMT)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]IRAZOLA ELECTRICAL SCREWDRIVER SET IN POUCH - BNIB on eBay, also, Screwdrivers, Hand Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 22-Dec-08 07:59:18 GMT)[/FONT]

H

hyperliteliam

Same screwdrivers. Just the first ones in the first link are the newer design i think. Both are insulated though

W

WarrenG

Thanks warren
I will take your advise, but like you, I would like to use the best tool for the job. The screw drivers you advocate seem to have two types.ive attached an ebay link to the ones ive seen. Can you confirm which are the ones you mean ?:confused:
Kind regards
Duncan Bigd62:)

[FONT=&quot]Sorry warren heres the ebay ink[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]regareds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Duncan[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Irazola 7 Pce 1000V VDE Pozi/Slot Screwdriver Set, 031 on eBay, also, Screwdrivers, Hand Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 21-Dec-08 12:05:42 GMT)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]IRAZOLA ELECTRICAL SCREWDRIVER SET IN POUCH - BNIB on eBay, also, Screwdrivers, Hand Tools, Business, Office Industrial (end time 22-Dec-08 07:59:18 GMT)[/FONT]
Sorry Duncan just picked up the thread, the first link you have posted are the ones I have now have and the second link are a previous model. Both are good, although I think the newer ones have a slightly better grip. I have used both.

Nice drivers and good torque. Very important in the Summer when you hands start sweating. I woukld definately not recommend the standard red plastic handle drivers even though they are insulated the grip really gets to you.

I have used various drivers such as Wera and Draper Expert. I found Wera wore out far to quick but the Draper expert were good for grip.

Insulated a must!

B

BigD62

Hi
Seen a few people struggling with the Kew Tech blade runner. I tried it unsuccessfully on my 2330 course last week:(. My instructor, having also not gaining asatisfactory result said there's nothing better that a blade and hacksaw for armoured, but I find it hard to believe with all the modern tools around there isnt a better product.Am I alone thinking this ??:confused:

Warren
Thanks
I will go for those indicated and hunt round for the best price
Many thanks
Duncan BigD62.:D

E

eskimo39

Big D62

The first link are for the Irazola Tekno Plus models and the bottom link is for the Irazola Premium range. The Techno Plus are far superior and as stated by WarrenG have a much better grip on them. If you go to the Toolman Yardley website you can pick up a set of these for £24 quid, bought 6 sets off there last month and they were delivered within 3 days.

Been a major tool junkie I can honestly say I have tried most major brands out there. I started with Wera Slipstops (The grooves soon wore out), then Facom (Broke the head off a few, however replaced with no question by Facom), Bacho (No problems) , CK (Bit slippy) , and now onto Irazola Techno Plus which are in my opinion worth every penny. Great bit of kit.

For pliers/sidecutters etc I would never use anything but Knipex.

My voltage meter is a Fluke T5-1000 and my Multi is a Megger MFT1553, both of which I have no problems with at all.

Hope this helps.

Ur college tutor is full of it, u cant usr stanly knifes in college and exams but trust me u will get on all sites with them !

S

Sparky_Ben

I have already been told on here that BAE, BP AND shell have a strict no stanley policy. I think my tutor was only advising me on the knife which I will be able to use on all sites.

S

Sparky_Ben

are yes I know but just on the safe side I think incase I ended up getting a job on such a site. personally I agree with you like someone else said on here that they can be used for more than just stripping wires so it makes sense to have a multi-purpose tool. I dont see the problem with them if they do the job what is the problem lol

absolutly, i dont see the problem with them, from my experience on site there is much more to worry about than a stanley! plant, nail guns, saws etc. My point is that ive worked with many sparks with many , many years experiance and not one uses an electricians knife, stanleys rule!

S

Sparky_Ben

yes and also the fact we work we electricity lol which could be lethal

That too! unfortunately h and s has got outta hand with all the personal claims coming through find a risk with almost everything usful , oh well life sucks :)

W

WarrenG

Big D62

The first link are for the Irazola Tekno Plus models and the bottom link is for the Irazola Premium range. The Techno Plus are far superior and as stated by WarrenG have a much better grip on them. If you go to the Toolman Yardley website you can pick up a set of these for £24 quid, bought 6 sets off there last month and they were delivered within 3 days.

Been a major tool junkie I can honestly say I have tried most major brands out there. I started with Wera Slipstops (The grooves soon wore out), then Facom (Broke the head off a few, however replaced with no question by Facom), Bacho (No problems) , CK (Bit slippy) , and now onto Irazola Techno Plus which are in my opinion worth every penny. Great bit of kit.

My voltage meter is a Fluke T5-1000 and my Multi is a Megger MFT1553, both of which I have no problems with at all.

Hope this helps.
eskimo - sounds like you have my kit there - Irazola, Knipex, Fluke, Megger - except my Meggers an old 1552......lol :)

O

OilBeDamned

absolutly, i dont see the problem with them, from my experience on site there is much more to worry about than a stanley! plant, nail guns, saws etc. My point is that ive worked with many sparks with many , many years experiance and not one uses an electricians knife, stanleys rule!
Their reasoning behind banning stanleys on some sites is that the blade can become stuck in the outter sheath of a cable when your stripping it causing it to "jump" as you drag it along, this makes it more likely to rip open your arm/leg or whatever.

I have worked on these sites and everyone smuggles their baldes in as the locking blade utility knife they provide is worse than useless.

Buy a pair of kelvar gloves though, best bit of safety kit you could ever buy. Will stop you slicing your hand open.

B

BigD62

That too! unfortunately h and s has got outta hand with all the personal claims coming through find a risk with almost everything usful , oh well life sucks :)
Many thanks to all. Passed on these details to the lads on my course and we were grateful for the info. In know feel more confident in not wasting my money. We had our class tonight and three lads said they had joined the site and found it brilliant so again thanks.
PS any hints on the right tool or gadgets for faster armoured stripping? apart from the Kew Technik Cutter which seemed to be inconsistent, fiddly and at £24 Expensive ?
Regards
Duncan BigD62

O

OilBeDamned

Many thanks to all. Passed on these details to the lads on my course and we were grateful for the info. In know feel more confident in not wasting my money. We had our class tonight and three lads said they had joined the site and found it brilliant so again thanks.
PS any hints on the right tool or gadgets for faster armoured stripping? apart from the Kew Technik Cutter which seemed to be inconsistent, fiddly and at £24 Expensive ?
Regards
Duncan BigD62
Stanley knife and a jnr hacksaw/hacksaw.

Just over a quarter of the price and gives you a far better finish.

M

misterfranki

Ha ha, I remember this dillemma when starting out, as I am sure we all do. I researched every brand and model and every tool - very sad!!
I have seen many app's go out and buy the C.K Technicians kit for a hundred odd quid. They do have lots of bits and pieces, only problem is the app's tend not to want to use their sparkly tools in their gleaming case. Lol. They tend to borrow mine, and next thing they are missing, never to be seen again. Then I moan to the boss and get a new set!!!!!!Yeah, right.

Everyone is giving great info here, but just put a spanner in the works (no pun intended) I do think the CK tools are probably the better of the average tools, and the tools supplied in the technicians kit is a good starting point for around the ton mark. Hers a link: CK RUCKSACK ELECTRICIANS TECHNICIANS PREMIUM TOOL KIT on eBay, also, Cases Bags, Laptop Accessories, Computing (end time 17-Jan-09 16:26:31 GMT)

I don't know about the rest of you, but most of my tools need replacing on a yearly basis. And, NO, they are just tools and get treated like tools!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B

BigD62

Thanks guys. Hacksaw and knife it is !:)
Many thanks for all Forum Members for your input retools. Lucky for me its Santa's visiting time soon and with your help, I have sorted out a wish list.

Funny thing,Tools arn't always cheaper on ebay. with the links you have individually sent me I have saved a few quid.THANKS:D
Its fair to say the knipex VDE 250mm water pump pliers I won on ebay for £10 were a result so it pays to shop around.

merry christmas fellow trainee & qualified sparkies

Regards
Duncan BigD62

W

WarrenG

Thanks guys. Hacksaw and knife it is !:)
Many thanks for all Forum Members for your input retools. Lucky for me its Santa's visiting time soon and with your help, I have sorted out a wish list.

Funny thing,Tools arn't always cheaper on ebay. with the links you have individually sent me I have saved a few quid.THANKS:D
Its fair to say the knipex VDE 250mm water pump pliers I won on ebay for £10 were a result so it pays to shop around.

merry christmas fellow trainee & qualified sparkies

Regards
Duncan BigD62
And they too will come in handy well done and good choice!

Its each and too their own with tools but you usually find you will be on a job and think to yourself 'ah could do with a....' and go get one. The next time you do a simliar job that tool will be invaluable.

I start losing my mind if I can't find my bradawl. Yet other sparks I know think nothing of using their terminal screwdriver to make a hole. Some I have known use a set screwdrivers from the pound shop. :eek:

Not me I use the right tools and look after them it keeps me safe :)

M

Marty48

there is a tool that is soon to launch (approx 6/12) that will make the bladerunner look like a concrete parachute. if you want a tool that cuts the outer layer of insulation and steel strands in both circumferential and axial planes , works on cable sizes upto 50mm (thats the physical diameter of the cable) and can be used on other concentric cables (yy etc) then you might want to save your hard earned till then?
thanks for the comments posted on this thread it is invaluable for market research. hope you like:)

S

Sparky_Ben

Any more information on that new tool would be helpfull. Any links available?
thanks

M

Marty48

Any more information on that new tool would be helpfull. Any links available?
thanks
love to say yes but not at manufacturing stage yet. can say that expect to pay around £90 for it. will be a quality tool that you can expect to use for many years and certainly make your job easier.:)

S

senor_fabulous

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo39
Big D62

Hope this helps.

eskimo - sounds like you have my kit there - Irazola, Knipex, Fluke, Megger - except my Meggers an old 1552......lol :)

Guys great minds do think alike. I like the knipex stuff, if you cant afford snap on knipex is the next best, I like the cobra pump pliers with fixable ratchet jaw great for doing just about everything couplers, bushes,glands you name it. Might be worth investing in a second pair if you can afford to, second pair dont have to be knipex but will come in handy especially when tubing. Combination pliers and long nose and side cutters (i mainly use mine for trimming cable ties) are also a wise investment. Wire strippers i would not bother with, get some choppers/croppers the wholesaler will know what you want - great for t+e, singles fp. As for screwdrivers I'm a fan of Irazola but what you will use mostly is a decent terminal (insulated) driver, number 2&3 pozi a big flat head for roofing/gutter bolts and a smallish flat for socket/switch screws. So dependin on your budget and what you do, I would go for comfort, magnetic tips are always handy. Keep in mind it is only as a last last last resort that you will be working live so not all screwdrivers, knives, saws etc have to be insulated) a good voltage/continuity tester is a must i have a fluke T3 which is ok but i do like the ones that vibrate when voltage is present (been in a few cramped noisy placeswhere i have not been able to see the led's or the beep )dont go mad as mentioned in other posts build up your tools as you go along, as some will get broken lost or stolen. A good battery drill for screwdriving, hole cutting. Get one with a 13mm chuck to accomodate holesaw arbors, and look for one with a spare battery and can hold a decent charge - look at the Ah and battery type. If first fixing masonry dont rush out and buy a 110v drill or a 24v/28v/36v drill as alot of firms will provide these but if you do think about what you will be using it for and shop around. Make sure its sds and while you are at it think about getting a keyless sds chuck adaptor - e bay is a good place to start, wholesalers b&q diy stores always have deals every now and again. Hope this helps long winded i know, and best of luck.

E

eskimo39

How strange only a few weeks ago I sold the 1553 and bougt a 1552 as I didn't need the bluetooth!!!!

B

BigD62

Hi guys & Gals if your outv there!
Im half way through the first year of the 2330.Your advice has been great re tools. Warren,I now have Knipex hand tools and Irazola screw drivers and they both perform.Im now at the stage where I want to start practice testing my work, so my new request is for your thourghts re tester, ie Megger or |Robin, Fluke,Martingdale each trainer at our college has their pet products so what are your words of wisdom?

B

BigD62

Megger, Megger and Megger
Thanks but which ones!!!
Ive been bombarded with what not to have, but need to find a first stage solution.Eskimo39 thanks for MEggar, attached is a quote from one of our discussions,
"My voltage meter is a Fluke T5-1000 and my Multi is a Megger MFT1553, both of which I have no problems with at all."
Are the above listed products the tool kit minimum??? and cover all the requirements for my 2330 course??
PS HELP
?

Scolmore Electrical Products

Reply to Toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

Top Bottom