Discuss Tools for my apprentice toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Loki

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at putting together my toolkit & I've been searching the post for recommendations ie ck,wera etc
I'm looking at quality tools that will last & not cheap & nasty ones.

I can't decide between these screwdrivers & I would be grateful for your recommendations?

Banco VDE interchangeable ratchet
BAHCO 6 Piece VDE Pozi & Slot Interchangeable Ratchet Screwdriver Set,808062 | eBay

Wera VDE interchangeable none ratchet
Wera Kraftform Kompakt 18 Piece VDE Pz/SL Interchangeable Screwdriver Set,003471 | eBay

Wera VDE screwdriver set
Wera 12 Piece Kraftform 160i VDE Insulated Screwdriver Set - SL PZ PH | eBay

I am also looking at the CK Magma padded tool belt?
CK Magma MA2715A Electricians Premium Tool Belt Set | eBay

Thanks

Michael

I use the wera kraftform screwdrivers, nice to work with and feel better quality than the CK ones they replaced. A proper set of screwdrivers is probably better than fannying about changing the ends every two minutes on the others, also harder to lose in loft insulation etc. Oh, and any apprentice toolkit should also contain a broom and a teaspoon.. :smilewinkgrin:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at putting together my toolkit & I've been searching the post for recommendations ie ck,wera etc
I'm looking at quality tools that will last & not cheap & nasty ones.

I can't decide between these screwdrivers & I would be grateful for your recommendations?

Banco VDE interchangeable ratchet
BAHCO 6 Piece VDE Pozi & Slot Interchangeable Ratchet Screwdriver Set,808062 | eBay

Wera VDE interchangeable none ratchet
Wera Kraftform Kompakt 18 Piece VDE Pz/SL Interchangeable Screwdriver Set,003471 | eBay

Wera VDE screwdriver set
Wera 12 Piece Kraftform 160i VDE Insulated Screwdriver Set - SL PZ PH | eBay

I am also looking at the CK Magma padded tool belt?
CK Magma MA2715A Electricians Premium Tool Belt Set | eBay

Thanks

Michael
i would highly recommend this for someone starting out

www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co.uk/electricians-toolbag-vde-6-piece-wallet-set-p660
6c18ab0ff5343f9be8e537bd8353d75f.jpg

some worktrousers in dark blue/black from screwfix would be good.

not dickies

I made the mistake of buying the Irazola interchangeable blade set of drivers a couple of years back. Great drivers but just a chew on changing blades.
Decent set of drivers, Wiha for me but others swear by Wera or Bahco. Pliers and cutter, knippex for me but others will swear by CK or NWS.
Try what you want and buy what feels good in your hand mate. Remember, buy cheap = buy often.
If you need to borrow something more than once a week you should buy one for yourself.

I made the mistake of buying the Irazola interchangeable blade set of drivers a couple of years back. Great drivers but just a chew on changing blades.
Decent set of drivers, Wiha for me but others swear by Wera or Bahco. Pliers and cutter, knippex for me but others will swear by CK or NWS.
Try what you want and buy what feels good in your hand mate. Remember, buy cheap = buy often.
If you need to borrow something more than once a week you should buy one for yourself.
there all good drivers, we all have our preference.

get some knee pads, you will spend a lot of time on your knees, trousers that have knee pads slots are the best

these are the kind of trousers i meant

a3c44bf03cfd5f5e14cf4c68cdfe3744.jpg

i like snickers but there too expensive to start if your buying a lot of kit when your starting

something like this is a must have. don't stand, squat or kneel whenever you can sit.

step-tool-box.jpg

I have tried most of the screwdrivers on the market and find the interchangeable blades great. Some don't like changing the blades but for me the portability of carrying the full set so easily makes up for it.
That for me, leaves a choice of Wera as you posted or the Wiha slimline. The Wiha are great but, I find the blade retention method awkward i.e if you push forward on the mechanism, the blade falls out, so the Wera shades it.

I have tried most of the screwdrivers on the market and find the interchangeable blades great. Some don't like changing the blades but for me the portability of carrying the full set so easily makes up for it.
That for me, leaves a choice of Wera as you posted or the Wiha slimline. The Wiha are great but, I find the blade retention method awkward i.e if you push forward on the mechanism, the blade falls out, so the Wera shades it.
the changeable are handy for little jobs and testing but you cant beat a proper set.

I have owned and used probably most if not all of the drivers listed,and some of the interchangeable bit models available are good quality and have a place. I would not say they are a substitute for separate sized drivers,just another option. They make sense if space/weight is an issue,such as air travel hand luggage etc,but most lads have a vehicle,or at least the bus! Another issue,is to ensure that the handle,and individual bits,are easily available,if lost,or it's useless jigsaw time again...And on repetition work,say pulling off and checking six double socket fronts,you may need three differing bit sizes,which could mean six changes of bit...which i feel is an unnecessary act. I saw a lot of lads buying these sets,at the last tool show i visited,and snazzy they looked too,but i guarantee their old drivers did not take early retirement :bobby:

I have owned and used probably most if not all of the drivers listed,and some of the interchangeable bit models available are good quality and have a place. I would not say they are a substitute for separate sized drivers,just another option. They make sense if space/weight is an issue,such as air travel hand luggage etc,but most lads have a vehicle,or at least the bus! Another issue,is to ensure that the handle,and individual bits,are easily available,if lost,or it's useless jigsaw time again...And on repetition work,say pulling off and checking six double socket fronts,you may need three differing bit sizes,which could mean six changes of bit...which i feel is an unnecessary act. I saw a lot of lads buying these sets,at the last tool show i visited,and snazzy they looked too,but i guarantee their old drivers did not take early retirement :bobby:
the thing is.

you wouldnt use a drill with only one battery so why do you only have 1 holder in these sets?

it is usually cheaper to buy a new set than just the handle.

you may think there good value but when the mechanism gets worn or one of the ends get worn they are expensive to replace

wickes do a 7 piece VDE driver set for ÂŁ15 odd. not the best but decent and cheap.

wickes do a 7 piece VDE driver set for ÂŁ15 odd. not the best but decent and cheap.
a wiha set for ÂŁ30 would be the most economical at a cheap price.

always hovers around the 30 mark on the net and includes snips

ive used wiha for the last 4 years, had ck and they were ok but i went back to wiha.

knipex are good as well but i find my wiha just as good and more comfortable.

yes i am a tool snob ^^

Thanks everyone & shanky for your very helpful advice.
I have ordered my toolkit & can't wait for them to start arriving.
Im like a big kid at Christmas lol. Boys don't grow up we just become bigger kids....

Michael

Reply to Tools for my apprentice toolkit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net