Discuss tools required help needed in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pukka69er

hi everyone i have not long passed all my electrical exams and currently building up my kit.I have all the hand tools also a 18v dewalt circular saw,24v makita hammer/chipper drill i currently have a 14.4v dewalt drill and want to upgrade it.Is it worth me buying a combi set with impact driver and hammer drill/driver im not sure what everyday use i will get out of both of them.Or should i get just a hammer drill/driver.(never used a impact driver before not sure what implications in electrical work i will need it for)
Also brought a 18v dewalt right angle drill off friend dead cheap but again not sure wether ill use it that often in electrical installation?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you already have the basic kit no point in spending anything on new tools until you quote for a job that actually needs something that you havent got. At least your build up will be slower and the tools will pay for itself quickly. No point in buying £500 worth of kit and have it in the van going rusty.

Hope that helps

Chris

Your probably right just im getting made redundant at the end of the month and getting a fair wedge£££
too much money and no idea! any advice on vans would be good as well if it comes under this topic?
So far looked at peugeot partner,citroen berlingo,fiat doblo and ford connect have £5k to spend (with vat)obviously looking for economy and reliability any help would be great.

Your probably right just im getting made redundant at the end of the month and getting a fair wedge£££
too much money and no idea! any advice on vans would be good as well if it comes under this topic?
So far looked at peugeot partner,citroen berlingo,fiat doblo and ford connect have £5k to spend (with vat)obviously looking for economy and reliability any help would be great.

Your choice of vans are very good , with the exception of the Doblo (my personal taste).

I have the SWB Low roof Connect, does the job perfectly and 5K will get you a very very good one as there are a lot about. I wont go into great detail on here but for top advice on any of the Transits have a good trawl about on the Ford transit Owners Club website forums. If you can lay your hands on an ex BT or British Gas one they usually come all racked out and serviced to the nines as well.

Cheers.........Howard

Pukker you would be better spending your dosh on Qualifications 2391 17th IPAF PASMA ect rather than tools

I would do the PASMA. i know a few electricians that said that the PASMA would be one of the 1st things that they would do when getting there Qualifications.

Hi thanks for the replies,i have passed my level 2 and 3 also my 17th edition and 2392(fundamental test inspect)i was considering my 2391 but feel i need some more experiance of testing and background knowledge as i have heard how hard it is and just reading the new book about the 2391 test and it looks tough!
pasma and ipaf are new to me?? never heard of either will look them up or any help in explaining these would be great.
also cscs card is that worth getting?

On the van front seen lots of vans considering buying from an auction ex bt or bgas,a couple of guys have brought them from work and i like the idea of extra security and good servicing but the racking differs from bt to bgas doesnt look much room for a lock box etc and other kit in the bt vans.
thanks for the help everyone being made redundant at the end of the month and want to get taken on as a improver and trying to get a start with someone is hard in this climate so all the attributes i can get will help.fraser.

Hi Fraser, another van to look at is the Vauxhall Combo. We recently bought 2 on 55 plates, both with less than 20k on the clock in the 1.3CDTI for £4300 including VAT each. Mileage is very good and they are quite nippy. Remote central locking with deadbolts, and have a sliding side door as well as the rear doors to make getting tools etc in and out easy.

In terms of tools I wouldn't bpther with an impact. Most of your fixing will be into rawlplugs anyway, However I would invest in a good set of Holesaws (Starrett etc), a handfull of decent SDS bits (5.5mm, 6mm & 8mm) and make up a decent screwbox with assorted screws, plugs, socket screws, fuses, grommets, clips etc, basically things you would need on a day to day basis for when you do your own jobs. I have found it saves me multiple trips to and from the van when I forget stuff.

Good luck

Reply to tools required help needed in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net