Discuss Total costs to get mcs accreditted and ready to install? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fletch 100

I'm looking to get into installing pv and have been on a course last year. I remember it seemed like it was going to cost a fortune to start up. I would like to know the exact costs for everything to get me passed my first install and mcs accreditted. Not including the installation costs of the first install i need to know the mcs costs, insurance costs any other costs that need to be paid out before i can start quoting to install on peoples houses.. Hope you can help. PS i'll be doing the first install on a relatives garage roof. Its asbestos does this mean it will fail mcs because of this factor. Thanks Lee

Hi Lee

I would say overall it has cost us £20 + grand what with associated costs , if it was me i would personally use another roof if it was my assessment .

Hi thanks does that include the cost of the 1st install? that seems very high. I was after mabe a list of things with prices maybe like the following:
MCS assessment - £845
solar installation indemnity insurance £345 per year
my 1st install is looking to cost me in materials - £1500
other costs? - £17,500
could do with a break down if poss thanks Lee
I was probably not going to drill the asbestos but weld brackets onto the metal studs sticking through the asbestos or fixing brackets onto the wall as well and bring unistrut infront of the asbestos edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you pm your details i would be more than happy to warn you of the pit falls and sharks !
I may be away from the tinter net for a couple of days though .
You may want to reconsider that fixing method .

REAL will want £250
Another £120 for GEMserve
Tools, roof ladders and Test Equip - £500

Your marketing budget will probably be as large as set up costs to get your first few jobs - it is easier after a few.

I spent far less than MEP setting up, and managed on a 10K float for the 1st few months, even now cashflow is the hardest part.

Do you think that all the firms offering free installs is having an impact on people uptaking systems that they need to pay for themselves. Obviously they will lose there fits but for a zero outlay for them and free electricity. This is a worry for me thinking about not bothering to get into the market at all.

No, t's the best free marketing you'll get. People taking up rent a roof rarely have the money so they aren't your market but it does raise awareness in those who do have the cash, they spot the flaw with the rent a roof principle and want to buy off you. Simples!

Reply to Total costs to get mcs accreditted and ready to install? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net