Discuss touch voltage help in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all
i'm currently testing a very large office complex on nights. in the boiler house, there are some boilers fed with SY flex. As per usual, the SY braid has not been bonded. When i tried to test for continuity to the braid i found 23v ac on the braid, only with that circuit switched on. is this to do with touch voltages.

firstly, what is this voltage i'm finding on the braid (note. its single phase), is it a capacitive effect and would bonding remove this.
Secondly, i always bond the SY flex yet many people don't. the SY manufacturers make specific glands that no one seems to use. is it a requirement that its not bonded, should i put it on the EICR.

any help would be appreciated

I doubt very much it is any form of capacitance by the make of the cable, you have the conductor, surrounded by basic insulation, then you have the outer sheath and then the braid, so highly unlikely it would be that.

As you say if indeed this braid is totally free of earth, then what you have is just a bit of metal floating free, and highly unlikely to be picking up any form of voltage. Sounds like you have a phantom voltage that can often happen with a MFT or electronic voltage tester.

Earth it. That'll solve the problem.

i just read on another forum about induced phantom voltages in unearthed braided cable after malcolm mentioned it. thats what it must be. oh how i wish so-called sparks would earth SY flex braid. it drives me mad

so therefore, in this case, if our sparks always bond the braid on SY flex, this problem should never arise. I need to get the message across to them to always earth the braid.

What you have to do, is decide whether the un-earthed braid is likely to cause a problem.
When you tested for voltage, I assume that it was between the braid and an earth point?
You have to decide whether the braid is exposed to atmosphere, and whether there is a likelyhood of a spark jumping from the braid to an earth point.

Even though sy cable is supplied in mains colours, and it's rated to 600v.

It's designed to be used as a control cable, to which the manufacturer states not for use with mains voltage.

Even though sy cable is supplied in mains colours, and it's rated to 600v.

It's designed to be used as a control cable, to which the manufacturer states not for use with mains voltage.
Your wrong it's can be used for mains voltage Rob.

Last edited:
Hmmmm I don't think so...

Stick with the dedicated SY glands...

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI

i know you should use the correct part designed for the job but always thought the ring in the external swa gland would tighten up on the taper enough to hold the braiding in the swa cable, therefore the braid would be held on earthed.
I maybe and probably wrong but was always under the impression that the correct sy glands are expensive?
opening my self up for abuse now, I've never had to use sy cable so ill stand corrected

Reply to touch voltage help in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock