Discuss Touch voltage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

peteelecs

Please could someone explain Touch Voltage to me and do I have to check for it when installing socket outlets and how I go about testing for it

The safe touch voltage is deemed to be 50 volts. I disagree i have been cracked by much less. In my humble opinion and that of the people who trained me many moons ago, all voltages should be treat as lethal, i have yet to find a reason to disagree with that statement after more than 30 years.

Cheers............Howard

The regs state that touch voltage should not rise above 50V.

You can check by taking a continuity reading between exposed-conductive-parts and extraneous-conductive-parts.

The reading you get multiplied by the current causing the protective device of the circuit to operate in the required time must be ≤ 50V (V = I x R).

For RCD protected circuits this would be 1667Ω (0.03 x 1667 = 50V)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Touch voltage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Extremely low voltage on 120v line Hi, I’m not an electrician but my home has 20 amp breaker that has only one outdoor outlet on it with a GFCI...
Replies
Views
i need to purchase a voltage proving unit - i have seen Megger MPU690, Martindale PD690, and Socket and See SP400, and Fluke but difficult to...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Having a weird problem in a house that has suddenly happened. One half of the ring main has 240ish volts (fluctuates of course), and...
Replies
Views
Hello All and happy new year. Over the holiay I have changed all of my old sockets to some nice new ones and added a couple with usb sockets for...
Replies
Views
So earlier this year I obtained a large machine with a couple of 3 phase motors in it, and the rest single phase. I bought a VFD, correctly wired...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock