Discuss touch voltages 50V and 25V in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pushrod

anyone tell me where in BS7671 it says what touch voltage is allowed for which special location - looked in individual special locations but can't see any mention :confused:

cheers.

411.5.3 applies universally now, Ra x Ideltan <= 50V where 50V is the maximum touch voltage. Pre 17th Ed BRB that equation <= 25V applied to certain special locations, eg. Construction Sites and Agricultural & Horticultural Premises.

Last edited by a moderator:
The forthcoming new amendment on medical locations sees the reintroduction of the 25 Volt touch voltage.

The forthcoming new amendment on medical locations sees the reintroduction of the 25 Volt touch voltage.

Do you know which locations it will apply to IQ ?

411.5.3 applies universally now, Ra x Ideltan <= 50V where 50V is the maximum touch voltage. Pre 17th Ed BRB that equation <= 25V applied to certain special locations, eg. Construction Sites and Agricultural & Horticultural Premises.
Hi Markie , yes quite a few references to 50V in brb and i was always under the impression that several special locations like the ones you mentioned were limited to 25V but i can't actually find it written in there:confused: Just can't remember if i have seen it written down or whether it has been people thinking of the 16th have been telling me.

Do you know which locations it will apply to IQ ?

Hi Markie , yes quite a few references to 50V in brb and i was always under the impression that several special locations like the ones you mentioned were limited to 25V but i can't actually find it written in there:confused: Just can't remember if i have seen it written down or whether it has been people thinking of the 16th have been telling me.

Yes, there is a new 'zone-type' system introduced on medical locations, the zones being called 'groups'.

The groups are numbered from 0-2 where 0 is the least 'intrusive' area eg. examination room/massage room and 2 where intercardiac procedures are performed and loss of supply can cause danger to life.

The 25 Volt touch voltage is introduced for groups 1 and 2 along with a new disconnection time for 230V Uo circuits of 0.3 Seconds (TN systems) and 0.05 Seconds (TT systems).

There are no other incidences of the 25 Volt touch voltage in BS7671:2008 or amendment 1

Yes, there is a new 'zone-type' system introduced on medical locations, the zones being called 'groups'.

The groups are numbered from 0-2 where 0 is the least 'intrusive' area eg. examination room/massage room and 2 where intercardiac procedures are performed and loss of supply can cause danger to life.

The 25 Volt touch voltage is introduced for groups 1 and 2 along with a new disconnection time for 230V Uo circuits of 0.3 Seconds (TN systems) and 0.05 Seconds (TT systems).

There are no other incidences of the 25 Volt touch voltage in BS7671:2008 or amendment 1

Bet there is a waiting list for your GP mate.......................;)

Looks as if BS7671 is adopting the German DIN VDE 0107 for hospital medical rooms. Which uses the same group designations as stated above. The German system is basically recognised as the international standard for electrical installations in hospital medical rooms/locations etc...

It'll be interesting how much of DIN VDE 0107 they actually incorporate?? There's quite a bit involved in the design side, let alone on the installation side of things...

This is the Standard i've worked too, on virtually all of my hospital projects, and is far superior to the present UK set-ups.

Looks as if BS7671 is adopting the German DIN VDE 0107 for hospital medical rooms. Which uses the same group designations as stated above. The German system is basically recognised as the international standard for electrical installations in hospital medical rooms/locations etc...

It'll be interesting how much of DIN VDE 0107 they actually incorporate?? There's quite a bit involved in the design side, let alone on the installation side of things...

This is the Standard i've worked too, on virtually all of my hospital projects, and is far superior to the present UK set-ups.

So gone are the days of ...............well stick either an IMD or more commonly an RCM on it and let the lights buzz then, I always found how deaf people were even with a 80Db audio alarm going on.

Yes did quite a lot of Phillip Holztmann work here in the 90's using the german standards, though I loved the copper work for the MRI unts. or when the cleaners come in with metal buckets.

I suppose it will be a case of trying to keep a high ratio between R1 and R2, you could possibley ensure 25V by default

Reply to touch voltages 50V and 25V in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock