Discuss tp 141 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kevinreilly

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me where i can get this tp141, I have seen it for certain jobs (powerstation commissioning) and it seems to be some sort of safety awareness in powerstations?
Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advanced

kev

TP 141 is an assessment of a commissioning engineers competency and knowledge of national grid high voltage procedures and technical knowledge.

To achieve TP 141 authorisation there are four assessments..

1. Health and safety exam

2. TP 106 Basic Management

3. Basic Technical

4. Design Module

If you are not familiar with and worked on National grid systems then this is not for you.

The failure rate is very very high and that is for national grid employees who work with their systems on a daily basis...

TP 141 was introduced because of several failures around 10 years ago on newly installed equipment on the national grid due to what was identified as bad practices so engineering was encompassed with commissioning management and set as the standard for commissioning of National Grid equipment...

To get onto the assessment for TP 141 you need to provide details of experience commissioning on national grid systems so unless your in a fortunate position to functionally test and gain experience then I would think it would be very difficult....

I hope this helps..

Regards

Tafster

Commissioning Engineer

Thanks Tafster for your reply,

The thing is if you need to be working for national grid HV for experience to gain the tp141 and you need the tp141 to get a job there, how is it possible:confused: ? there must be some other way to gain that qualification.

kev

What I forgot to mention was TP 141 is a National Grid requirement for Commissioning National Grid equipment only. TP is a Transmission Procedure.

You are right that it is a vicious circle to get experience and qualification which is why TP 141 Engineers are so sought after and so highly paid, there is an expression that goes "A TP 141 Commissioning Engineer is as scarce as rocking horse Poo !"

You can Commissioning on National Grid Equipment without TP 141 as an assistant Commissioning Engineer along side a 141 Engineer which is where you can gain your experience and practical knowledge on NG equipment.

I Just got the TP 141 handbook out and noticed that there is a minimum qualification of HNC/HND in Electrical Engineering which is required before a candidate can be considered for assessment.

Can I ask why you want this authorisation ? because unless you plan to work on NG equipment you do not need it.

Check your mail

If I can help let me know

Regards

Tafster

By the way the 3rd party companies that offer training cannot assess you as only National Grid can do that and they cannot guarantee you a place on the assessment centers so be careful !!

Tafster

my posts are below 5 so cannot send message sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
What it is Tafster ive seen numerous job adverts for tp141 commissioning engineers really good rates of pay, and wondered how i could go about getting a job like that. The advert i posted is a couple of months old I didn't really have much info on how to get the course so i enrolled on a hnc/hnd elec engineering, im already an electrician so thought i was half way there. I want to be a high voltage commissioning engineer but don't know how to go about it.

If you have any info please let us know, and thank you for the info you have already given me, its been a big help.

Kev

tp141 is a national grid authorisation that can only be obtained by working for the National grid or 1 of their subcontractors

TP 141 is an assessment of a commissioning engineers competency and knowledge of national grid high voltage procedures and technical knowledge.

To achieve TP 141 authorisation there are four assessments..

1. Health and safety exam

2. TP 106 Basic Management

3. Basic Technical

4. Design Module

If you are not familiar with and worked on National grid systems then this is not for you.

The failure rate is very very high and that is for national grid employees who work with their systems on a daily basis...

TP 141 was introduced because of several failures around 10 years ago on newly installed equipment on the national grid due to what was identified as bad practices so engineering was encompassed with commissioning management and set as the standard for commissioning of National Grid equipment...

To get onto the assessment for TP 141 you need to provide details of experience commissioning on national grid systems so unless your in a fortunate position to functionally test and gain experience then I would think it would be very difficult....

I hope this helps..

Regards

Tafster

Commissioning Engineer
Hello please can I have your mail.
I have some questions about TP141

• Optimistic
Reactions: DPG
Hello please can I have your mail.
I have some questions about TP141

This thread is 13 years old mate.

You’d probably be best starting a new one.

Most definitely better off starting a new thread... all previous contributors are no longer members of the forum and appear to have either deleted their own accounts or they were deleted by staff. It's impossible to know at this stage.

Closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to tp 141 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net