Discuss TP&N Fuse switch disconnector advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Passing the time with plans for stuff that might never happen, but relevant to here is my interest in the selection of a 100A TP & N fuse switch disconnector taking BS88 style fuses. I don't need a switched neutral, but it has to be:
  • The "double break" sort where both ends of the fuses are isolated in the off position (as the load has UPS that would make it hazardous to change a fuse if not isolated at load as well as source)
  • Lockable in the off position (I would assume all are, but sometimes it is not mentioned?)
First one that clearly states both features in the related data sheet that I found is the Proteus U100FS from CEF, but I imagine there are other worth considering. Over to you folks!

A fused switch has the movable fuse carriage which completely withdraws the fuses.
A switch fuse has a switch with fuses installed after the switch.

I would avoid proteus due to their terrible reputation.
I prefer schneider switchgear these days, they do two ranges which are the exact same kit painted different colours, and priced quite dufferently.
Craig and Derricot are also a very good brand of switchgear I occasionally use.

Eaton MEM103GNC is one I've used a few times.
Square D SQB1003K.....or L for a bit cheaper.

edit. Stay clear of Proteus.

Last edited:
I've found the MEM excel and Glasgow units to have gone downhill terribly these days, the last ones I had new had poor quality terminals.
That's why I've moved over the the schneider/square D stuff.

Well now RS is reporting the MEM "Glasgow" switch (part 726-4740) is made in India. Now there are some very smart and competent Indian engineers out there, but when production is moved it is only ever to do with cost-saving, and that is invariable related to quality cutting.

Had a look at the Square D SQB1003K and it looks the part, I really like how the terminal shield goes to the front/bottom so if you drop the nuts, fuse, etc, when changing a blown fuse you don't end up with them rattling around your still-live busbar chamber!
[automerge]1585600423[/automerge]
A fused switch has the movable fuse carriage which completely withdraws the fuses.
A switch fuse has a switch with fuses installed after the switch.

I would avoid proteus due to their terrible reputation.
I prefer schneider switchgear these days, they do two ranges which are the exact same kit painted different colours, and priced quite dufferently.
Craig and Derricot are also a very good brand of switchgear I occasionally use.

The terminology is not very well used, for example Hager list various definitions then go on to describe their own kit with different names!

Had a look at Craig & Derricott Ltd and it is a good suggestion, I like the possibility of getting custom aspects (e.g. sensing switch settings via aux contacts, etc) but remains to be seen if there is a budget for that. Also, as for many suppliers, they are clear as mud in terms of what you actually get!
Interior photos? Missing.
Data sheet giving the exact switching arrangements? Missing.

Last edited:

Reply to TP&N Fuse switch disconnector advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock