Discuss Trade Skills 4 U qualifications? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at the 2 courses below and wondering what it actually means in terms of getting a job.

City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3 Diploma - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/2365-course

Bronze: Domestic Installer Course - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-installer-course

Preferably I will complete the 2365 course, however if I can't secure the funding I might opt for the Domestic Installer Course. If I did this, what could I actually apply for with the qualifications at the end?

Any help would be appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Matt

the first (2365) is the core qualification to get on the road to be a qualified spark.

the second will give you entry into the domestic installer self-employed rat race.

the first (2365) is the core qualification to get on the road to be a qualified spark.

the second will give you entry into the domestic installer self-employed rat race.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I wouldn't like to go self employed after that little training. If I got the domestic installer qualification, would it stand me in better stead to get an Electricians Mate position where I can then look at completing the 2365?

agreed forget the domestic installers course, you never see jobs advertising for domestic installer.
C&G 2365 or the apprenticeship route.
Just remember that if you do the 2365 you will still have no practical experience & most likely will find it difficult to find employment to continue & do the NVQ portfolio afterwards & then the AM2

agreed forget the domestic installers course, you never see jobs advertising for domestic installer.
C&G 2365 or the apprenticeship route.
Just remember that if you do the 2365 you will still have no practical experience & most likely will find it difficult to find employment to continue & do the NVQ portfolio afterwards & then the AM2

No, I have found that there are not many on job searches.
I would love to take an apprenticeship however as I am 31 I would not be able to live of an apprentice wage (unless it is increased to minimum wage due to me being a mature student?). I am aware that it will take years to become a fully qualified electrician and I intend to do it, I just need to find a way to keep earning at least minimum wage at the same time? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I wouldn't like to go self employed after that little training. If I got the domestic installer qualification, would it stand me in better stead to get an Electricians Mate position where I can then look at completing the 2365?
No.

No, I have found that there are not many on job searches.
I would love to take an apprenticeship however as I am 31 I would not be able to live of an apprentice wage (unless it is increased to minimum wage due to me being a mature student?). I am aware that it will take years to become a fully qualified electrician and I intend to do it, I just need to find a way to keep earning at least minimum wage at the same time? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yes I know an apprenticeship is hard financially especially through the first year. Im 43 (single parent) & am on that rubbish money for another 6 months but im looking at the long game when ill earn £32,000+ like the others at the company.
Ive seriously had to cut back spending & try & minimise the bills but it will be worth it. My focus is my little princess so i can provide a better future for her.

Domestic courses are really a waste of money unless your going self employed.
Its not just electrics to learn, your presentation, making good afterwards, how to talk to customers, advertising, running a business, tax etc just to name a few. all not covered in the domestic course. tbh all these courses just want your money.

Yes I know an apprenticeship is hard financially especially through the first year. Im 43 (single parent) & am on that rubbish money for another 6 months but im looking at the long game when ill earn £32,000+ like the others at the company.
Ive seriously had to cut back spending & try & minimise the bills but it will be worth it. My focus is my little princess so i can provide a better future for her.

Domestic courses are really a waste of money unless your going self employed.
Its not just electrics to learn, your presentation, making good afterwards, how to talk to customers, advertising, running a business, tax etc just to name a few. all not covered in the domestic course. tbh all these courses just want your money.

Just out of interest (if you don't mind me asking) are you on minimum wage or below? I've heard some apprenticeships going as low as £3.50 an hour and I literally could not afford to live off that. I am willing to put the hours and work in, just need to make sure that I don't bankrupt myself in the process

Just out of interest (if you don't mind me asking) are you on minimum wage or below? I've heard some apprenticeships going as low as £3.50 an hour and I literally could not afford to live off that. I am willing to put the hours and work in, just need to make sure that I don't bankrupt myself in the process

I'm lucky as the company I'm with is paying above the £3.70 apprentice rate for the first year, but less than the £7.83. They seem to be about halfway between the two. Overtime does help a bit.
(previous company back in 2015 was paying £2.50ph)

You might be able to get extra help? ie housing benefit, single occupancy for council tax (25% off), working tax credit, all depends on your circumstances.

Remember at first you will slow them down as they will have to stop what they are doing to show you what & how to do things. Plus any mistakes you could make they should cover financially & in timewise. Over time this will get less & less & you will be seen to be more productive & hopefully your hourly rate will reflect this.

PS. I have done some training with Tradeskills4you at Gatwick, the last one I did with them was the C&G 2392-10.
Quality wise really depends on the trainer you get some are good others not so.

NMW.jpg

Last edited:
The JIB rates are not set in stone but they can give you a good ball park figure on what you would be expecting to earn throughout an apprenticeship and going forward.

https://www.jib.org.uk/documents/publications/149-jib-industrial-determination-2017-to-2020.pdf

The problem you are going to come across is that with no practical on site experience you are not going to be worth the adult minimum wage for the first year or so of your learning. You will make mistakes that will have to be corrected by others and slow others down as they try to teach you the trade. That why apprentice wages are so low, you're not really earning much money for the company for a while. Obviously some people pick it up faster than others, equally some people are just incompetent and never really get it and drop out in first year.

Hi folks forgive me if I'm speaking the obvious, I have been an avid listener of all the BS the HMG put out about skill shortages.
Listening and reading to some of your considerable experiences regarding how difficult it is, living on low wages etc, whilst pursuing an Apprenticeship, fills me with a thought of how difficult it is to gain one let alone complete one.
Regardless of age, experience etc it looks like it is really difficult to manage, not just the Apprenticeship but the day to day living expenses especially those of you who have homes and families to keep.
There is, of course some help financially in some cases. The question I would like to ask, not just the HMG but the Schemes as well, when will these people realise that short quick fix courses don't work.
I remember my old Boss saying to me over a few beers ( we both worked for what was then the PSA (Property Service Agency)about the lack of skills that would emanate once the Tory Government made the monumental error of closing down HMG funded Maintenance contracts, this not only impacted on (jobs for like CS guys like me) but skill sets in all aspects of the construction industry.
I really feel for people trying to get a foothold in the industry, and trying to overcome the money making quangos dreamed up by Penny pinching Politicos, whose only thought was how to line my own pocket, not giving a monkeys for the fodder that they see the general public as, the various CPS schemes have fallen in line with this outrageous outcome and shame on them for doing so, rant over.

Hi, I have a guy works with me who did one of these 2365 courses with a TS4U competitor (he’s ex military and did it as part of his return to civvie street preparations). The course gives you a basic understanding and awareness of the skills needed to start learning on the job and sets you in the right track to do your NVQ.
My advice is do the 2365, not the Domestic Installer course (you’ll learn nothing, other than wiring a plug and switch) and find a good electrician who needs a mate to work for him and you should earn more than minimum wage. That way, you learn on the job, under supervision and you can ask lots of questions.
The lad I have working with me, has made a few mistakes, but his eagerness to learn and work ethic are second to none, which is worth the odd error and incessant questions. (Plus he buys cream cakes every Friday)

Reply to Trade Skills 4 U qualifications? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net