Discuss Tradepoint woes in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

graeme210375

Hi All

I joined tradepoint at B&Q last week and all looked promising. The tradepoint depot manager gave me a tour of the warehouse and basically told me if they didn't have it in stock it wasn't worth having.

Popped in there today as it was close by to a job for a few of the basics, about 30 items in total. Handed over the list.

"Sorry mate no moulded boxes in stock (patrasses), oh and no transformers (for 12v lights), also no 13A switched sokets, by the way we've run out of junction boxes too, and the CU you want is out of stock!....." and so it went on! Came out with 10 items, then had to drive to the wholeslers for the rest. What a waste of an hour and a half.

The guy went on to tell me that I could get them off the shelf for full reatil if I wanted.

This Tradepoint is a large depot within a masive 2 storey B&Q, not just a trade desk. I thought they are meant to be a one stop shop.

Anyone else had these problems or is it just my store?

I'm looking to complain. At least I got a hanful of free pencils though

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago i went and bought a load of downlights for my living room from there.When a sparky came to give me a quote to fit them he told me i needed fire hoods to comply with the building regs.So off i went off back to B&Q for some.When inside i asked the guy down the electrical isle where they were,only for him to tell me they didn't sell them.I was a puzzled by this and asked him why they sell the lights but not the hoods,only for him to turn around and tell me that its not in their interest to sell the hoods because no one would buy them.......thats my rant about them,luckily im much more aware now of how they roll.

In my Tradepoint they have given me at tradepiont price if out of stock but taken from b&q shelf,though it was all owned by kingfisher anyhow :s

Its ********, whenever i buy anything using trade point card it only ever seems to knock off about 4p at the till.

Waste of time

once bought a Bosch 110 volt proffesional drill from B &Q a couple of days later it broke,took it back and the manager said it had to be sent to maker,leaving me without a drill,ended up going elsewhere and buying another,b&q diy only don,t deal with them now

load of tosh!! just got a new oven from there today mind..! on shelf and saved 20 quid from retail price..!

It's true that many items aren't any cheaper through Tradepoint than off the B&Q shelves, but it's always worth going through the Tradepoint desk or using your card at the ordinary checkouts. I've been buying a lot of stuff for a house renovation and have sometimes been surprised at what I've saved when i didn't expect it. eg some kitchen taps - got 25% off with tradepoint. Bought a bathroom suite and got abouit £250 off the sale price. Always worth trying it, although I agree that for most electrical stuff it's cheaper from electrical wholesalers.

Thought I was being clever when I spotted budget (but pretty well made as it happens) C.U.s , so I picked up a couple for £50. My brother in law, who has a B&Q over 60 card managed to buy himself one for £45. So the tradepoint card is definately a load of tosh.
In an case I dont think they should be selling such items to the general public- especially the likes of my brother in law.

My local tradepoint is part of the B&Q store, when i took my shopping to the counter they put it through the till and it came to £102, i gave them my Trade Card and the price went up to £109, quality!

Quite a few times I've been in to Tradepoint and they didn't have what I wanted in the Tradepoint stock, but I was able to walk out into B&Q store to pick items up off the shelf and return to Tradepoint counter. Just need to check you actually do get the discount applied - there is a different barcode for B&Q and Tradepoint items - they need to press a button on the till to get Tradepoint discount on shop items.

Disadvantages: People serving you do not understand the products. You may or may not get things cheaper. Having to walk for miles through the shop to pick up items can take a while!

Advantages: Some items have really good discount. They are open 7 days a week, usually till mid evening as well.

Reply to Tradepoint woes in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net