Discuss Trades Gateway in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm thinking of enrolling on Electrical course with the above mentioned, is this a wise decision or not?

I had a "sales person" come round yesterday to give it all the patter saying its better than an apprenticeship & night school doing their 2/3 year course.

[h=3]Domestic Electrical Installer[/h]
  • Industry Certification in Essential Electrics
  • BPEC* – Part P Defined Scope
  • City & Guilds 2377 – In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment
  • City & Guilds 2382 – 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations
  • BPEC* – Part P Full Scope
  • City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 Diploma (Units 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6) in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment
[h=3]Full Scope Electrician[/h]
  • Industry Certification in Essential Electrics
  • Part P – Defined Scope
  • City & Guilds 2377 – In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment
  • City & Guilds 2382 – 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations
  • Part P – Full Scope
  • City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 Diploma (Units 2, 7, 8 & 9) in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment
  • City & Guilds 2392 – Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification
  • City & Guilds 2394 and 2395 – Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations
Specifically for people with little or no prior electrical experience or knowledge, these courses can take you from a complete beginner to a fully-fledged and professionally qualified electrician. On successful completion of the course you would be able, legally and safely, to work as a qualified electrical installer / electrician, either in your own business or for a company.

The above are the qualifications you can achieve on the course, does it sound like a good way to do it or should I look at other avenues?

Thanks for taking your time to read

How long did this guy say it would take to become a "fully fledged electrician" ?
being qualified is only half the battle, you need experience as well, and that is where an apprenticeship wins hands down.

Hi,
I’m currently training with trade’s gateway, I’ve got tobe honest I’m quite impressed with them up to know, well after the salesmanbit, my first bit of advice is don’t get sucked in by the salesman, that’s allthey are, trust me I’m one myself but I sell cars not training, the tutorsalways respond really quick with any questions that you have, I did a lot ofreading a hell of a lot before I agreed to anything, as some people say that some of the sections ofthe training that you will do aren’t needed, as tigerpaul said, and many othersalso say experience is massive, im in a fortunate position that when I getfurther along in the course a family member that is a time served electrician thathas his own business, is going to take me on, so im in a fortunate positionwhen I get to the point where I have to create my portfolio of evidence forC&G.
My advice is do what you feel is right for you.
For me this course will get me where I want to be, evenif I will be under the watchful eye of my old grumpy uncle for a while.
If you have any questions feel free to message me I willquite happily try to help, I understand what thoughts are going thro your mind,I felt the same for a while.

How long did this guy say it would take to become a "fully fledged electrician" ?
being qualified is only half the battle, you need experience as well, and that is where an apprenticeship wins hands down.

I understand that totally, she explained that after 12 month of study you should try an get a job as an electricians mate or something in the industry and then when you're gaining experience after that you should try and push after 2 year to the next step and by the end of the course after 3 year you can "walk" into a job and employers actually approach them for graduates. I'll give the woman her due she sold it well, but it all sounds to good to be true. I'd love an apprenticeship but the only predicament I've got is I'm 30 and finding them hard to come by with my age. I'm trying to explore all avenues before I decide which road I take.

I really appreciate all your feedback

It all sounds good, well it will, they are trying to sell you their training package. My advice would be to enroll at your local tech college on an recognized C&G course in electrical installations , and try and sign on with some agency as a mate.

I've been doing the same course as well, I'm just over 12 months into it. Everybody has different opinions about, and so far I haven't had problems with it - apart from having repay the career loan back out of my benefit, but all ok.

I'm 42. The best would be, approach local sparkies and ask them to give you some work experience. I was in the pub last, chatting with some friends, and this one bloke came and joined us and I overheard him saying he's a sparkie. Hopefully when I go in again, and we're not too ****ed lol I'm going to ask him.

I think I'm going to enrol on a night school course at Burnley college now instead, then at least I can approach local electrical companies whilst doing the course personally and ask about maybe taking me on as an apprentice or sparks mate, hopefully the severe drop in wages I'm prepared to take and my willingness to approach them will be enough to persuade them to take a punt on a nearly over the hill 30 year old haha

I really appreciate all your feedback

Thanks

Reply to Trades Gateway in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock