Discuss TradeSkills4U Feedback in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

hi I am a airconditioning and refrigeration engineer . I am looking to branch out into solar pv etc i am looking into trde for skills courses . i have been putting in ac and working on 3 phase vrvs for years and servicing industrial coldrooms etc so pratical skills are not a issue at all are the courses worth doing as i really just need the qualies and the methodology of installing solar

i had been to course at this crawleycentre and found the instruction and guidance was the best and the facilities provided was also excellent,i successfully succeeded in passing my exams, thanks once again for the faculty @ trade skils 4 u.

Firstly, thanks to those who've already posted here.

I've never done any electrical work or anything similar/related. From some online research, I've found Tradeskills4u interesting, even though their location is not ideal (North/North West London would be better for me). I also liked how my enquiry was handled when I phoned with some Q's. If need be, I did find a nearby B+B that looks OK.

I think I will be able to tag along with some experienced sparks I know to gain some real experience, but want to be able to contribute during that process rather than just be dead weight and feel that I need to have some type of foundation knowledge to do that. I was thinking of doing the 5 day intro course along with some of the others on offer to get started (either the Green, Bronze or Gold package). Is this a good route to take, or would I be better off with another type of college course? From what I've read you need to be working and to have been doing so for a while before you can jump on the NVQ course. I have the rare opportunity to take a short sabbatical to try and get myself on a new career path at 37 years old and I want to learn electrics from scratch. Does anyone have any strong advice to help with direction/path in terms of education for a beginner please? Thanks in advance.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS THREAD IS FOR FEEDBACK RELATING TO THE COMPANY CALLED TRADE SKILLS 4U and NOT THE COMPANY CALLED TRAIN 4 TRADE SKILLS.

Considering doing the Bronze course. I am ex-army and may use my funding to pay for it.
This review is helpful, I know the course won't turn me into an electrician but nobody will give me an apprenticeship (must be my age)

Please leave feedback if you've been on this course!

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS THREAD IS FOR FEEDBACK RELATING TO THE COMPANY CALLED TRADE SKILLS 4U and NOT THE COMPANY CALLED TRAIN 4 TRADE SKILLS.
I am looking on doing the level 2 + 3 diploma 2365 course it is 16 weeks. I have spoken to trade skills 4 u and they have said that I’d need to do the NVQ part which obviously comes after the level 2 + 3 but they said the NVQ part has to be done working in the industry. Would it be a struggle getting a job with only having the level 2 + 3 diploma but then completing the NVQ when I have a job? Do I need to be fully qualified first? I am 23 years old.

There's loads of different threads regarding Tradeskills4U, but I thought I'd throw my two pennies worth on here.

Having worked as an installation engineer for about 20 years I wanted to formalise my experience into real qualifications and concentrate on sparky work. I did a lot of research on which qualifications i needed to satisfy the likes of NICEIC etc and shopped about for a course.

Now, there are plenty of people out there who believe that they can do one of these quick courses and start wiring and fault finding. Obviously this isn't the case, but there's nothing preventing anybody, by law, from doing non-notifiable work. I'm pretty certain, from the things i've seen over the years, that there are people operating exactly like that, often doing notifiable work, and just not knowing the law let alone how do safe work. I don't know how on earth anyone expects to be able to control that goings-on, Jo Public has been kept well and truly in the dark about Part P, Notifiable etc, so they don't know what to look for. Maybe the new ESR will have some publicity like the Corgi/GasSafe scheme? But regardless of all that, anyone who attends a course and passes a recognised exam is safer than Mr Avago.

There's no substitute for experience, but the courses at Tradeskills4U are run by experienced and knowledgeable tutors with a wealth of experience in the trade, and nobody ever suggested, whilst i was there, that you could walk out of there and go it alone from day one. Sparky's with NVQ's and apprenticeships under their belt have every reason to feel that these courses offer the inexperienced the opportunity to give sparky's a bad name and undercut them. I was looking around the room myself and thinking "god help us!" about a few of the candidates after some of the questions they asked. But here's the thing, that candidate now knows the answer. They didn't have to come on this course, and until the law is changed or tightened up at least, these courses are probably saving lives. These courses also taught some of the candidates a very important lesson: They have a lot to learn!

Tradeskills4U is a professional outfit, and I was very impressed with the quality and knowledge of the tutors there. The short courses don't offer the practical skills needed to get on with it, and they can't really give much in the way of historic standards and practices that you need in the real world but, they taught me a thing or two and after 20years as an engineer, that came as a surprise.
What they said.

Trade Skills 4U are NOT the dodgy trade firm that kept popping up under various names and going bump again before they paid out their dues.

Trade Skills 4U have been a sponsor of the forum long before those dodgy firms came about, and have been here long after those dodgy firms have gone bump.

They're legit. They have members on the forum who have found them via the forum, trained with them via the forum, and become an electrician during being a member of the forum (their own doing - not claiming their win here).

Don't mix them up.

TS4U are legit and awesome and ace.

The other ones, peh. Let 'em come and go. But don't send your money their way. :)

Hello all, first post, joined the forum today.

My name is Lee, I am 34 years old and hopefully about to embark on a career change.

Having spent the last 10 years of my life in white collar office type roles I have taken the plunge to invest in my future by starting to train for a career in Domestic Installation. In January I will be starting their Advanced Domestic Electrician Course (23 days): C&G 4141-01 Electrical Installation Domestic Dwelling > C&G 2393 Part P & Regs > C&G 2392-10 Inspection & Testing > C&G 2382 Wiring Regs > Advanced Top Up.

Whilst I am under no illusion I will be able to walk out of that classroom in February and rewire a house, my long term goal is to work for myself.

In the meantime I am wondering if at my age it is wise to look for an apprenticeship type position with a local sparky for a couple of years rather than trying to undertake non notifiable domestic work whilst I build my confidence.

Is there a stigma attached to older apprentices? or is there an abundance of school leavers leaving no room?

My name is Lee, I am 34 years old and hopefully about to embark on a career change.

Having spent the last 10 years of my life in white collar office type roles I have taken the plunge to invest in my future by starting to train for a career in Domestic Installation. In January I will be starting their Advanced Domestic Electrician Course (23 days): C&G 4141-01 Electrical Installation Domestic Dwelling > C&G 2393 Part P & Regs > C&G 2392-10 Inspection & Testing > C&G 2382 Wiring Regs > Advanced Top Up.

Whilst I am under no illusion I will be able to walk out of that classroom in February and rewire a house, my long term goal is to work for myself.

In the meantime I am wondering if at my age it is wise to look for an apprenticeship type position with a local sparky for a couple of years rather than trying to undertake non notifiable domestic work whilst I build my confidence.

Is there a stigma attached to older apprentices? or is there an abundance of school leavers leaving no room?
I think a lot of firms who take on apprentices would prefer a 34 year old to a 21 year old who might be skiving off a bit with hangover and whatnot. 34 is young.

Might be hard right now to find apprenticeships but see what you can find out in your area matey.

Can always put a request in the looking for work forum. And also monitor the work up for grabs forum (you can click to subscribe to new threads posted in there to get notified of work going).

I think a lot of firms who take on apprentices would prefer a 34 year old to a 21 year old who might be skiving off a bit with hangover and whatnot. 34 is young.

Might be hard right now to find apprenticeships but see what you can find out in your area matey.

Can always put a request in the looking for work forum. And also monitor the work up for grabs forum (you can click to subscribe to new threads posted in there to get notified of work going).
Thanks Dan, I really appreciate the reply.

As an added incentive to potential employers Im very much an "all the gear with no idea" kinda guy so they will no doubt have access to a lot of the expensive kit I have started to buy but don't know how to use :)

Joking aside, I am willing to put the graft in on an apprentice rate for a couple of years if needs be and will do it with a smile on my face.

I'll do exactly what you suggested and see how things go. I have 12 weeks to get the ball rolling...

I had a conversation with a spark yesterday and may have secured a role as a mate installing EV Chargers :)

Hi Lee,

I am in a very similar position to yourself (36 yo) and i am looking to start a course at some point this year hopefully, depending on if i get a C&G bursary. Will even look to work for free on weekends if anyone will have me haha basically i dont think its too old at all to begin an apprenticeship and being a little older and wiser might even be seen as a better bet. let us know how you get on with your course and progress from that point on.

Hi Lee,

I am in a very similar position to yourself (36 yo) and i am looking to start a course at some point this year hopefully, depending on if i get a C&G bursary. Will even look to work for free on weekends if anyone will have me haha basically i dont think its too old at all to begin an apprenticeship and being a little older and wiser might even be seen as a better bet. let us know how you get on with your course and progress from that point on.
Just PM’d you mate...

really happy with the course so far...

feel pretty confident RE basic installs (IN PERFECT CONDITIONS)

if you really want to get the most out of these courses you need to have a passion for further learning.

You are taught everything as advertised but it’s like learning to drive...you/I will learn far more once you/I are on the tools after you have completed the course.

I have become pretty engrossed with the theory side... I’d recommend you spend an hour with your head in the Regs books and OSG for every hour you spend in a classroom/e learning.

What is a reasonable expectation for finding work after completing the C&G 2365 lvl 2 and 3 course?

From what I understand there are a few door that open. Obviously finding an apprenticeship is the best route to a career, with volunteering time to gain experience on the tools and knowing or finding someone willing to take you on as a trainee other good options.

Would I be able to apply for work as an Electricians Mate with no prior experience if I find the right opening? Or is there a general expectation that to apply for a job role I would have onsite experience beforehand?

Who just wants to do a 'Domestic installer " course and stick with the work available that falls under this scheme ? Thinking of doing this to just cover kitchen install work , Consumer boards and lighting .No real further dreams to expand more etc !

Who just wants to do a 'Domestic installer " course and stick with the work available that falls under this scheme ? Thinking of doing this to just cover kitchen install work , Consumer boards and lighting .No real further dreams to expand more etc !

This is exactly my position.

I personally only want to do domestic work.

Reply to TradeSkills4U Feedback in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net