Discuss Training As An Electrician in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mosdwt

I am interested in arranging for my son (25 years old) to train as an electrician. What do you guys think of the quality of "New Career Skills" courses and the people who complete their courses. Alternatively where else could he get good training which is accepted by the industry

I am interested in arranging for my son (25 years old) to train as an electrician. What do you guys think of the quality of "New Career Skills" courses and the people who complete their courses. Alternatively where else could he get good training which is accepted by the industry

Hello Mosdwt

But don't you think that now your son is 25 years old he is a big boy and should be doing this himself and not get you to do it for him???

I would be looking at college courses first, how much does it cost at the new skills centre.

Access Training Wales. (Cardiff)
Alternatively, like Raj said, college for 3yrs.

Depends on what he wants to do really.
Does HE want to become an electrician?

Access Training Wales. (Cardiff)
Alternatively, like Raj said, college for 3yrs.

Depends on what he wants to do really.
Does HE want to become an electrician?

Mr Bane

I'll have to put you on commission at this rate:D

i would definetely go with Access Training:)

Hi Moswdt

I had a look at the new skills website and must say that the facilities do look good with individual booths and training classrooms and an endorsement from Shakey who has experience in training courses so i think it could be a good option but i would still be trying to maybe gain access to college and get an apprenticeship and gain the experience from a tradesman, exhaust every avenue.

By The way hi there guys, been looking from afar so decided to take the plunge.
I live in Scotland and work in the process industry, great site.

Very well thank you kindly :)

Half days on a Friday so get to come on here and chat to Montybaber most times!
(and people like yourself!)

Then I get my head kicked in by the missus because I've neglected to do any cleaning!

I echo the point others have made about what your son actually wants. We've had apprentices and trainees through who were there because their parents knew someone who works for the company, and had managed to wangle him a job. This isn't meant to be a generalisation, but in the instances I refer to, they all ended with the kid pursuing other avenues when they found out that what their parents wanted wasn't what they wanted.

I know we all want what's best for our kids. I also know you can't put an old head on young shoulders too. So I would get him to do the legwork if he's interested. Give him what help, advice and encouragement you can to pursue what he wants to to, but it needs to be him driving this. Building trades are a rough old place. He'll need a bit of "get up and go" to be able to cope.

I would say that if possible get into into the trade as a mate. It may mean not getting paid on college days, but making necessary sacrifices is worth it in the long run.

Have not been able to post for a few days but am now catching up on things.
An interesting thread, my youngest son wanted to get into the industry and worked as a labourer whilst getting his qualifications. Yes I supported him wherever I could, asking round about possible vacancies and suggesting courses etc. I even helped him where I could with odd Saturdays work and with his course work (until he started correcting me!). At the end of the day though it was down to him to go out and "badger himself" a job. He was the one who sent out numerous letters (ok I bashed them out on the computer for him but he was the one who said who they were to and what they were for) and he was the one who went knocking on doors and putting out leaflets in wholesalers counters.

Whilst it is great for parents to support their kids a line needs to be set so that it is the kid themselves who are looking for the position, it is the determination of the individual to get what he wants which will impress potential employers. ( A classic example of this is our very own Bane who has successfully got the position he wanted when the position was not originally available).

Your son needs to decide which way he wants to enter the industry and where he wants to go in it. He has several options open to him however I would recommend, at his age, that he initially gets on the phone to some local contractors and see if there are any labourers or mates required. He also needs to get out some letters explaining what he wants to do and ideally hand deliver them. This does not have to be done during office hours, label up the envelopes "HAND DELIVERED" and drop them through the letter boxes during the evening.

If it is what he really wants I wish him every success and I know that if he comes onto this site and asks for help we will do our best to provide it.

im 37, 19 stone and 6ft. yetti,tattoos, and my ol man STILL busts my balls! lol, on my case several days ago,gotta be a father thing!!!:)

The best way to ensure success in anything is a desire to DO IT for ones self. Been involved in training for a number of years those students who ''want'' to do it usually succed. Those that are ''pushed'' or lead to it normally perform badly and fail to acheive the minimum standards on a regular basis.

Before you 'push' your son make sure it is trully what he wants to do! You could save yourself a lot of money and keep hold of your son.

Sounds to me that what you son needs is someone to listen to him and take him serious - not to force him into something he might regret later in life. After all happiness is worth far more that money.

Thats it time to get off the soap box!

Hello everyone,

first of all firstly I joined this forum to try and solicit some help not for sarcastic comments from people such Ian Settle1. Thank you for all the other comments. I grew up and trained as an electrician in England but have lived and worked in South Africa for over 30 years now. My son has indicated to me that he would like to move to England to live and work. When I trained in England the age was 15 -21 years to serve an apprenticeship but as he is now 25 years old I said that I would try and find out for him whether he could still receive training as an electrician (or any other trade for that matter) at his age in England.
The decision rests with him as to what he would like to do but as I would likely be paying the costs (at least initiallly) then I have a personal interest in finding out what training is available and of the quality of the training. I would then expect him to follow up on the outcomes.
Do companies in the UK accept people over 21 for apprentice training or is there some other means learning a trade ?

Hello everyone,

first of all firstly I joined this forum to try and solicit some help not for sarcastic comments from people such Ian Settle1. Thank you for all the other comments. I grew up and trained as an electrician in England but have lived and worked in South Africa for over 30 years now. My son has indicated to me that he would like to move to England to live and work. When I trained in England the age was 15 -21 years to serve an apprenticeship but as he is now 25 years old I said that I would try and find out for him whether he could still receive training as an electrician (or any other trade for that matter) at his age in England.
The decision rests with him as to what he would like to do but as I would likely be paying the costs (at least initiallly) then I have a personal interest in finding out what training is available and of the quality of the training. I would then expect him to follow up on the outcomes.
Do companies in the UK accept people over 21 for apprentice training or is there some other means learning a trade ?

If you had explained yourself a little bit clearer at the start you may not have got the comment I passed in the first place:(

Hi Mosdwt.

You say you'll be helping to fund your son. To what extent? If your son has any electrical experience and you have a spare £6,000 then an intensive course may be the way to go for him.

This would cover him for Domestic installations

>>>> *Please place your input on the ins and outs Shakey* <<<<
(He's a member on here that teaches these courses Mosdwt)

If not, then he's going to have to look at going to college for 3yrs minimum.
He'd want to enrol on the City and Guilds 2330 Level 2 (2yrs) followed by
City and Guilds 2330 Level 3 (1yr). Costs could be £3,000 max for all 3yrs (£1,000 per yr).

These would be his 'base' foundation courses that would cover him for commercial/industrial and domestic installations and are more or less a minimum requirement here now. Let's leave at that for now regarding courses.

Employment opportunities regarding apprenticeships...That's a different matter. Especially if you don't know somebody who can help out.
Think of it from the employers point of view. He can pay a school leaving apprentice a LOT less than a 25yr old apprentice. BUT, if the employer has half a brain, he should realise that a 25yr old generally has a better aptitude towards work and is more mentally mature (generally).
Basically he's going to need to ask around, phone, visit, e-mail, etc. It's a hard graft, age isn't necessarily against him (I'm 29 and just started an apprenticeship, VERY LUCKY) but a good attitude and the fact that he's enrolled/enrolling at college will/can help.

(He will have missed the enrolment for this year and will have to enrol around June/July 2009 now, to start in Sept)

Erm...I can't think of anything else to add at the moment. Sure I've missed some things out but no doubt people on here will help fill you in.

Hope I've helped to clarify some matters for you? Any more queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

If your son was born in South Africa you may need to check on whether he can work in this country as the government are changing the goalposts for overseas people not born in the EU.

Last edited:

Reply to Training As An Electrician in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock