Discuss Training Help in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

spamfr33

Hi all
Im thinking about getting qualified as an electrician but i am unsure of the best way to do this. I do not really want to spend 4 years at college.
I have been working for a heating company for 10 years, this work involves wiring control panels, general electrical maintenance and testing/fault finding of commercial heaters.
I have 16th edition regulations and a control circuitry college cert.
OLCI is an option but seems very expensive.
Is it possible to just study at home with purchased books, then just take the test? Or do i need to book the training as well?

Nothing wrong with what you are planning the problem will come when you approach a centre to take the exam you will find it near on impossible to find one that will allow you to take the exam with them if you havent done the course.

City and Guilds themselves or one of the distance learning colleges may be able to help you with that.

Chris

hello mate also the longer the course and the more on site experience the better
employers were never very keen on short courses and with so many experienced electricians looking for work you may find it hard to get a start
having said that once you have the quals needed they are yours for keeps and when things pick up youll have them

good luck

What is the minumum qualifications i would need to be able to legally work as an electrician?
Obviously the first thing id need to do would be to upgrade to 17th edition.
In my job i have gained a lot of practical experience fault finding and doing installation work so i feel with a bit of swotting i wouldnt have too much trouble with 2330 part 2/3 but if all i need are my 17th edition and a domestic electric installers course then there isnt much point.
Im not trying to rush into becoming an electrician..honest! Im just trying to fast track the starting qualifications so i can get more experience and move onto the higher qualifications like 2391.

thanks for the help

If you go the domestic route all you need is the EAL VRQ which is about the building regs. On passing that you would need to register with and be assessed by the NICEIC or similar. The 2382 you would have to pass within 12 months so its not needed straight away the ability to self certify is.

Chris

Reply to Training Help in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock