Discuss Training info help required in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

Vaquero

Hi all. I have searched all over the place and can't quite get any info to not contradict something else, so, i need advice on training to be a sparks.
I worked as a maintenance engineer (electrical bias) for years with BT. I want to go back to part time (possibly leading to full time), self employed work as a small scale electrician, domestic rather than commercial. It seems I can do domestic work as long as it is replacement but when it comes to new ccts etc, I need to be qualified. I know I would need 17th edition but not sure of which other qualifications I need. It seems like Domestic Installer and Part P (?). What does it cost to register on a competent persons scheme and do I need this to test and approve my own work? have I got that bit right?
Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam, I thought it best I provide you with some links to find some of the info your looking for. Although the info I provide is not comprehensive, it does go a long way in steering you on the right path. Electrical Installations qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds for getting qualified. You will need a JIB or CSCS/ECS card to prove your qualified to your customers. You can follow these up by going here ECS card scheme FAQs. For registration to an approved body, go to this link NICEIC | Contractor | Schemes | Domestic Installer. I hope you find this information helpful and although i'm not qualified myself just yet, these sites have helped me find my way forward and should give you a heads up too.

All electrical work, whether maintenance or installation needs to comply with both building and wiring regulations and so requires appropriate training and understanding i.e. you must be competent to do the work.
The very minimum you need is the level required by the competent person schemes which is not really sufficient to be able to safely undertake the work, this is 17th Edition of the wiring regulations (C&G 2382), you will note on this site, that may be of use, that this route is not covered.

Competent persons schemes are there to permit a potentially cost effective method of notifying building control of notifiable work and to provide a public perception that you are working safely.

Notifiable work is defined in Part P of the building regulations, the approved document for which can be downloaded here. If you are installing non notifiable work then you do not need to be a scheme member, if you are installing notifiable work then you will need to notify building control, either in advance and pay their fee and have your work assessed, or join a competent persons scheme (at about £400 per year) and notify through them once the work is done.

Hi all. I have searched all over the place and can't quite get any info to not contradict something else, so, i need advice on training to be a sparks.
I worked as a maintenance engineer (electrical bias) for years with BT. I want to go back to part time (possibly leading to full time), self employed work as a small scale electrician, domestic rather than commercial. It seems I can do domestic work as long as it is replacement but when it comes to new ccts etc, I need to be qualified. I know I would need 17th edition but not sure of which other qualifications I need. It seems like Domestic Installer and Part P (?). What does it cost to register on a competent persons scheme and do I need this to test and approve my own work? have I got that bit right?
Thanks
Sam

So what qualifications do you presently hold, if you had previously worked as BT maintenance operative for years??

I studied the TEC A3 course in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. This became the BTEC as far as know and was supposedly an ONC. It was one of those things that the BT training office kept all your records and certificates of. I have contacted BT, the college and what I believed was the governing body but nobody appears to have my records.

I studied the TEC A3 course in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. This became the BTEC as far as know and was supposedly an ONC. It was one of those things that the BT training office kept all your records and certificates of. I have contacted BT, the college and what I believed was the governing body but nobody appears to have my records.

Never heard of anything like that before!! Qualification Certificates are issued to the successful student, NOT to the company. The college will have records of every professional/trade certificate/diploma they have ever officially issued, as will the issuing body/institute.... Try contacting the Engineering Council, or whatever they are called these days!!

I can't believe you left BT and not take any personal indentures of qualification certificates with you. I have no idea why a company would be holding your original qualification certificates... All sounds very strange to me!!

I couldn't wait to leave to be honest and had no intention whatsoever of ever going back into that line of work so like a twit, I didn't think to take proof of qualification. Now of course, 20 years later, things look very different !!!

E54 - I have heard something along those lines. If the qualification was designed and delivered by the company but receives its award through a recognized awarding body. The company becomes the registered centre, just like a college. Whether or not its moral to hold onto the certificates so that the company exerts a certain amount of control is definitely something that should be debated.

I might suggest that you dig deep into the murky pool of 'company policy and legislation' and get some support from a solicitor, a union or possibly from the press....

E54 - I have heard something along those lines. If the qualification was designed and delivered by the company but receives its award through a recognized awarding body. The company becomes the registered centre, just like a college. Whether or not its moral to hold onto the certificates so that the company exerts a certain amount of control is definitely something that should be debated.

I might suggest that you dig deep into the murky pool of 'company policy and legislation' and get some support from a solicitor, a union or possibly from the press....

Which is very much the same situation with the company i did my training with, it had/has it's own fully equipped apprentice and further education training school. All courses and qualification certificates upto and including level 3 were all sat in-house.

No-matter what or where official qualifications are sat and achieved, they are or were directly awarded to the individual not the company. I can't see how a company can (legally) or would want to hold on to an individuals orginal trade/professional qualification certificates.
As far as i remember, the company had copies of final cert's/diplomas etc issued for that year's end on display in the training centres waiting areas and corridors and the like...

Reply to Training info help required in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock