Discuss training routes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening All (or morning depending when you see this).

Sorry if this has already been discussed or asked, I'm new to this whole forum business and this group, so trying to learn the ropes and quickly. Apologies for the long winded post, I just wanted to explain my circumstances and what the route I am planning to take and whether it is worth the time and money.

I am looking to change careers (25 years in freight forwarding / logistics / warehousing). Is starting to become boring and no longer challenging. After having a brief chat with an electrician today, renewed my interest in what to try and do along side my full time job to start the ball rolling in the training aspect. I will add that I am 42 years old and not shy in try new things or willing to put the effort / time into training (have 4 x level 3 nvqs in shipping industry and 3 x level 2 nvq along with the usual gcse's).

I have looked at various posts on training aspects and what routes to take. I am considering completing the below courses (part time) in the evening / weekends as I am unable to give up my full time job as I am the main earner in the house and need to provide for wife and kids.

Looking at some of the posts already none seem to mention the course's I am considering and now wondering if these are the correct courses / pathway to take. I know I am going to be at least a year or 2 before I can take on any practical experience, (I do have basic knowledge and understanding of residential electrics, but no professional experience).

The courses I am considering are:- (this is at the local college)
EAL Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installations (1st)
EAL Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (2nd)

Or are the above irrelevant and do I need to just jump in with the C&G courses (if so please could anyone recommend a start point as I have attended zoom calls and meetings with a few training providers, which say I can be done in 6 months, but at a cost of 4k plus).

Level 2 Diploma In Electrical Installations 2365-02
2382 - 18 with the amendment 1

Really appreciate any feedback or advise from anyone that is currently looking at a similar route to myself or already completed this route

Thanks everyone as always

Cheers
Daz

I would recommend L2/3 City and Guilds while getting experience as an labourer, apprentice electrician.
No short cuts really in my mind. Realistically 5 years after you are qualified till you are competent with the experience.
Good luck

I would recommend L2/3 City and Guilds while getting experience as an labourer, apprentice electrician.
No short cuts really in my mind. Realistically 5 years after you are qualified till you are competent with the experience.
Good luck
Thanks mate, I have read alot of reviews over the past few weeks and also a you tube channel, recommended from this forum and the videos helped a bit as well. I have just been advised by my college that they cannot offer evening or online courses either, so it has swung it the route which you have advised. I have sent several messages to local electricians and offered to volunteer for the weekends whilst I am doing the online training, which I know will take a few years. Hopefully this would help get the practical experience where I won't have to be on the apprentice wages and I can then commit full time thereafter.

City and Guilds tend to be the more recieved courses. I did level 2 (2365) and then level 3 (8202-30 - this replaced the level 3 2365 as far as adult learner loans is concerned, so while that level 3 2365 is still available, you would have to fundit yourself.

No reason why you can start your journey with the level 2 (bypass the lower wage first year) and then flip it to an apprenticeship but I've yet to see it done.

After that it's the NVQ3 portfolio, essentially evidence of work you've done.

Adrian Davey has done a variety a videos in the routes into the industry, hell you'll find me on one of them, worth a watch but it Apprenticeship bias sowing to it effectively giving you everything.

Reply to training routes in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net