Discuss training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi guys
has anyone used pass electrical training to gain there 17th edition my company would like to send me on a course that would allow me to to do jobs around our building like change face plates light switches and wire in light fitting when they need replaced is was looking at the domestic electrical course any information would be great cheers

Sounds like your company is trying to get jobs done on the cheap brummie.

The 17th Course is designed for practicing Electricians to bring them up to date with ever changing regulations, it's an open book course, it doesn't make you a skilled electrical operative. I know changing face plates etc is not rocket science.

The 17th Course is designed for practicing Electricians to bring them up to date with ever changing regulations, it's an open book course, it doesn't make you a skilled electrical operative. I know changing face plates etc is not rocket science.

i know that but its a health and safety thing on the site where i work i have a not too bad knowledge about electrics so i need it to keep my department costs down

i know that but its a health and safety thing on the site where i work i have a not too bad knowledge about electrics so i need it to keep my department costs down

Well you are obviously a company man, I can't see what cost cutting is going to be achieved by you taking the 17th update, sorry to be negative but it makes no sense to me at all, but good luck, I can't offer any other advice, maybe others can.

sounds like OP's employer wants to tick boxes.

H.S.E / Insurance Company;

" So what training has this Brummie69 had" ?

"17th Electrical Regs",, was the reply.

H.S.E / Insurance Company,

"We'll ask you again, So what training has this Brummie69 had"?

H.S.E / Insurance Company;

" So what training has this Brummie69 had" ?

"17th Electrical Regs",, was the reply.

H.S.E / Insurance Company,

"We'll ask you again, So what training has this Brummie69 had"?
none at the moment thats why im starting with a basic course annd working my way up to 17 edition ( company policy} before you can even put a new plug on a kettle

Well you are obviously a company man, I can't see what cost cutting is going to be achieved by you taking the 17th update, sorry to be negative but it makes no sense to me at all, but good luck, I can't offer any other advice, maybe others can.
an example of cost cutting would be the fact i have just been quoted £ 385+ vat to supply and fit a new red green traffic light on one of my loading bays yet i can buy the traffic light for £125+vat and that was the cheapes quote

The 17th edition course is about knowledge of the regulations. It does not qualify you for any practical work not provide any training in such.

I see it as a catch, you don't want them too trained they can just walk out, and the to keep the cost down

2393 part p
2392 TESTING
2382-20 17th edition

And 2377 pat testing as some places might like to be able to have someone on site
2393 part p I think has a time limit, ie it's only valid for so many years

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-installer-course

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it as a catch, you don't want them too trained they can just walk out, and the to keep the cost down

2393 part p
2392 TESTING
2382-20 17th edition

And 2377 pat testing as some places might like to be able to have someone on site

It's penny pinching by the OPs employer (not the OPs fault) they are trying to get something for nothing, the OP has admitted this by saying he is trying to save his company money, laudable, but not as far as safety is concerned.

If I was him, to keep the costs down and the risk of not passing a courses, ie jumping in to 17th with no training, just the flicking in the book tabbing pages.

Pay for just him to do the courses, and he will have to gang master and tell the flying monkeys what to do.
And keep an eye on them, they won't be skilled so can't run off, and won't have to pay them too much.
Also add to your skills so if any thing happened you could do electricians trade.

2393 part p
2392 TESTING
2382-20 17th edition

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-installer-course

What has part P got to do with it? as it has no relevance at all as he is North of the border.

He first said about changing switches then in a later posting he is looking at installing a traffic light system in the company loading bay. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and when it does he and the company will be in front of the guy with a white wig and black gown

Last edited:
what has part p got to do with it? As it has no relevance at all as he is north of the border.

He first said about changing switches then in a later posting he is looking at installing a traffic light system in the company loading bay. This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and when it does he and the company will be in front of the guy with a white wig and black gown

because i keep forgetting scotland and wales have different levels

As far as i see he isnt doing any real wiring, just Replacing parts.

AS if you had READ before (i dont think people read ALL the dam Posts) i was puzzled but and didnt need ANY training really. But hay what the HELL <I GIVE UP, With my Dyslexic tends to read things and miss out parts, and when i do i am DAM PEED off with myself. But i have to TRY and READ the WHOLE Thread to get all that is said, that JUST the DAM LAST POST>

Last edited by a moderator:
an example of cost cutting would be the fact i have just been quoted £ 385+ vat to supply and fit a new red green traffic light on one of my loading bays yet i can buy the traffic light for £125+vat and that was the cheapes quote

Hi Brummie, you don't say if the quote was just for a straight swap or an actual new install, but lets just say it is a straight swap, I can't say if it is a good price or not. but look at it from the contractors point of view, for you to get me to do the job there are a lot of costs to consider.
Just a rough guide for you below;
Tax and national insurance
public liability
employers liability
staff wages, staff tax and ni , staff tools and workwear
van finance, tax,test,insurance diesel, travel time
Niceic fee's
test equipment
test equipment callibration
workwear
tools
constant regs updates,books etc
office rent and everything that comes with it
Profit on the parts to cover warranty if you need to come back out
Certificates
etc etc etc and I've probably missed plenty off the list

Does it still sound expensive!!!

Reply to training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock