Discuss Training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Grier0478

Just an enquiry I am due to leave the armed forces and wish to start a whole new career as a 33 year old college and uni are out the question what with a mortgage and 4 kids to feed, I am leaning towards becoming an electrician but with no prior experience does anyone suggest a feasible route into the trade so I don't waste resettlement and can get the right quals to gain experience alongside a fully qualified electrician.
any help would be great

Well to become a electrican you will have to go to colleague at nights doing a 2357 course good luck mate it will take about 3 years

Thought that may be the case seen a lot of courses in our resettlement mags like access training and other offering 6 week intense courses understanding that you are not going to learn a trade in 6 weeks are these a definite avoid

Thought that may be the case seen a lot of courses in our resettlement mags like access training and other offering 6 week intense courses understanding that you are not going to learn a trade in 6 weeks are these a definite avoid

Not necessarily. There are some on here who have done what is termed as "6 day wonder courses", some have done apprenticeships, and some have grandfather rights, and all contribute good stuff into the forum, and are no doubt very good at their jobs. It is all down to individual ability, desire etc etc, you can learn the trade fairly quickly, but you cant learn experience, it is experience that will get you out of a corner, and the only way to get 30 years experience is by being in it for 30 years. There are a lot of unemployed Electricians about, all well qualified, and very experienced, so i will let you guess who is the more likely to find employment between yourself and those.

But have a go if that is what you want.

Cheers..........Howard

Thb these courses are a insult to people who have put the time in and there dangerous mate put in the time mate and learn the trade properly it will be worth it if done right

These comments are great I would prefer to put the time in to learn the trade properly thanks for the comments time to go and devise a plan that will not only pay a wage but were I can qualify to cheers for the info 

Ok we'll I have a way and done right .... Work in the days any job electrical if pos . Mate work and do 1 night a week 3 hours at collage. 2 years job done, even mate work would give you a lot of the skills needed conduit ect. Good luck buddie MSG me if you want advise on courses

Just an enquiry I am due to leave the armed forces and wish to start a whole new career as a 33 year old college and uni are out the question what with a mortgage and 4 kids to feed, I am leaning towards becoming an electrician but with no prior experience does anyone suggest a feasible route into the trade so I don't waste resettlement and can get the right quals to gain experience alongside a fully qualified electrician.
any help would be great

Well then, so is becoming an electrician out of the question!! If you can put the required time and effort (for whatever reason) into the necessary training and gaining experience your just wasting your time and money!! There is no quick route to becoming an electrician, once you get past that FACT, then you can decide what your going to do with your life outside of the armed services!!

Why does every Tom Dick and Harry that wants to change career, think becoming an electrician is a walk in the park??

Well then, so is becoming an electrician out of the question!! If you can put the required time and effort (for whatever reason) into the necessary training and gaining experience your just wasting your time and money!! There is no quick route to becoming an electrician, once you get past that FACT, then you can decide what your going to do with your life outside of the armed services!!

Why does every Tom Dick and Harry that wants to change career, think becoming an electrician is a walk in the park??

you already know why - the poor sods are being spoon fed bull***t information about 5 week courses and unlimited riches. at least the ones that come on this site can be given the right info' before parting with their money.

you already know why - the poor sods are being spoon fed bull***t information about 5 week courses and unlimited riches. at least the ones that come on this site can be given the right info' before parting with their money.

why is it always the electrical trade that everyone fancies a dabble in ? lol
bet carpenters forum doesnt have Electrical Trainee's lol.
knew i should have been a chippie ;-)

Probably because they think electricians get paid more for starters.
But if you do a crap job as a wood butcher, everyone can see it and you wouldn't last very long, electrics are hidden away.

When i entered the industry, you needed to pass a pretty stringent math assessment test, ...Before you were accepted for training (apprenticeship)!! It seems that has long gone, like many other things. No wonder the calculations seen on the forum from trainees and the like, leave more than a lot to be desired!!

At this rate there will be a Electrical Trainee for every house in the UK, all scratching their nether regions wondering who’s hidden the crock of gold.

Just been reading today there will be a problem if the UK gets its arse in to gear to build new power stations. “No suitably skilled labour available.”

All training seems centred on house bashing. Not where real skill is needed and now sadly lacking.

Grier0478, if I was you I would be looking to go into private security.
Trades are on their knees and the currently hourly rates being offered are a complete joke. Someone who stacks shelves for a living nearly makes a much as a spark.

Reply to Training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net