Discuss Transformer help after purchasing wrong items in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Please can someone help me find a replacement unit as I have been advised wrongly and purchased 8 transformers that I could not return. Any links to the relevant item from TLC, Screwfix, Edmundsons or any other alternative is fully appreciated. Thank you in advance

Transformer help after purchasing wrong items IMG_8746.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Post a picture of whay you have bought that is just a generic lighting transformer in the pic

You have connected them incorrectly. The cable clamp needs chucking in the ceiling void, you should have at least 30mm of black and red showing outside the transformer with the cpcs snipped off:D
Seriously though what type of lamps are they supplying.

The transformer shown in the picture is a dimmable 12Vac 20-60W transformer suitable for incandescent halogen lamps, that transformer would usually run one MR16 50W lamp.
It would not be suitable for 12V LED lamps.
If you can say whether you have a dimmer switch and what type of dimmer switch if you have, and the type of lamp LED, CFL, halogen and the type of connection (GU10, MR16, GU5.3, G4, AR111, G9, etc) then you would get a more useful response.

I am not surprised you got the wrong items if you asked the vendor like that.:cool:

Its an MR16 50W 12V.... This is how the electrician fitted them when we moved in. All help appreciated as im not sure where to go next with this

I bought them a while ago and didnt get around to fitting them...... now that i have the time they are incorrect

These from tool station are very similar but a wider wattage range but with three outputs (which I do not think you need but yours has).
These from screwfix should work fine, only one output.
TLC does not have any non prewired transformers.
You could also use these from BEW or these from cp lighting.

These from tool station are very similar but a wider wattage range but with three outputs (which I do not think you need but yours has).
These from screwfix should work fine, only one output.
TLC does not have any non prewired transformers.
You could also use these from BEW or these from cp lighting.

How do you rename the links @Richard Burns?
I have a very small brain and don't know how...
Then again I haven't really looked into it..

Find the page that you want to link to. This is called the URL. Copy it.

Type your text that the link will be attached to
eg
CLICK ME
select the text block (you know how to do that?)
when the text is selected click the icon that looks like a chain link
you'll then get a screen
paste the URL into the field that is marked URL (its easy)

Click insert, and you are now an expert.

Its an MR16 50W 12V.... This is how the electrician fitted them when we moved in

Igoring how the spark fitted the "earlier" units - what have you bought and why are they "wrong"?

duplicate post

No - you are wrong. Very small brains don't ask questions if they don't know something or how to do something.

I'll take that as a complement mate..
I love to learn stuff..

Am I missing something, should they not operate the lamps?

Richard, thank you so much! Appreciated. If can return the favour i will - Im an IT consultant and a professional photographer!

Reply to Transformer help after purchasing wrong items in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock