Discuss Transformer Neutral Grounding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Should the neutral of the transformer be provided with separate ground rod or can it be interconnected with earth bar which also connects the transformer frame and other equipment frame grounding. Is it correct as per the European standards? ( See the attachment)

Transformer Neutral Grounding Tr neutral to Earth.PNG - EletriciansForums.net

I think this depends on the actual resistance to earth of the electrode network, if it is suitably low enough they can be linked otherwise they need to be kept completely seperate.
I don't work with this sort of thing but I have a read a lot on the subject out of interest.

It is normal practise to connect the low voltage star point (neutral) of the transformer to the neutral bar in the LV switchgear. A separate earth cable should then be connected to the star point of the transformer to a separate earth bar also contained within the LV switchgear. Two earth rods or earth mats of the correct impedance (be aware of the potential step voltages around the rods/mats) should then be connected to the earth bar in the LV switchgear (these are usually duplicated so that one side can be disconnected for testing whilst still maintaining the earth connection to the transformer on the other side). All the earth connections to the steelwork, transformer frames etc are also connected to the LV switchgear earth bar. These earth connections are also generally duplicated for testing purposes. Inside the LV switchgear there should be a removable copper link (for testing purposes) adequately sized connecting the earth bar to the neutral bar.
The earth connection on the MV side is usually connected via a neutral earthing resistor to limit the earth fault current to around 400 amperes. I assume you are looking at 13.8 kV for the MV and 480 V for the LV

Are you asking for you're own self improvement or because you've got a contract doing this.

If its the latter an your asking this most basic safety question, then I'm afraid I'm not willing to help. If you're learning an this is theoretical I can tell you what you need to know.

Are you asking for you're own self improvement or because you've got a contract doing this.

If its the latter an your asking this most basic safety question, then I'm afraid I'm not willing to help. If you're learning an this is theoretical I can tell you what you need to know.

I'm asking this for my self improvement. I'm an Electrician who is trying to improve in his trade.

Reply to Transformer Neutral Grounding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock