Discuss Transformer question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jabba89

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if somebody could help me to work out the transformer wattage I need for an American rotary tool I bought? I’m looking to buy a transformer to be able to use the tool in my UK house socket and don’t want to fry the tool on first use!

The tool is 120v (60HZ) and 1 amp- am I right in thinking that it is a 120Watt tool and therefore I can use a 200W transformer? I think I read somewhere else that the transformer needs to be able to handle at least 140% of the tools wattage, should I go for a higher wattage transformer just incase?

Any electrical advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for the input DPG :thumbsup:

I did a bit of searching on Amazon this afternoon, and found a step up/down transformer that seems to cover the 60HZ to 50HZ difference between the US and UK power outputs, this unit here:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BG98F4K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A11IPLSR49VH0N&th=1

I should clarify my question a little bit; could anyone advise me whether this transformer unit (*see image below or link above) with a wattage of 200 Watt would be enough for my power tool or would I need to purchase a higher Watt transformer to be safe?

*My power tool is: 120v and 1 amp (I think that makes it 120 Watts????).

*Transformer unit specs: Converts 220-230v to 110-120v at 200 Watt maximum.

Thanks again in advance :)
J

*Bronson step down.png

I don't see how that has any effect on frequency - it's just a toroidal transformer in a box by the looks of it.

And the advanced circuit breakers they talk about seem to be standard fuses!

Hi - if cost is not too much problem I’d go bigger, but that’s me to a T. This one impressed me that it had some size to it and needed a carry handle, ha. And hopefully the toroidal transformer approach is simple enough for it not to have heart failure the first time you stall the drill, or what have you.

830B19FE-C50A-4AFE-B58F-32BDA4162EED.jpeg

Ah right, I understand a little better now.

It was due to my ignorance that I bought the power tool in the first place as I thought that it would be straightforward to convert over, but clearly not!

I’ll contact the power tool company and enquire as to whether it can be run at 50HZ instead. If not it’s getting returned :cry:

Cheers for the advice DPG :thumbsup:

Reactions: DPG
It depends of how long to decide to run it for and whether a percentage power loss is an issue which will happen on 50hz. You also have to consider the motor will turn slower which may affect its ability to cool itself it allowed to run for a period of time.

Hi - if cost is not too much problem I’d go bigger, but that’s me to a T. This one impressed me that it had some size to it and needed a carry handle, ha. And hopefully the toroidal transformer approach is simple enough for it not to have heart failure the first time you stall the drill, or what have you.

View attachment 56716
Thanks Wilko, provided I can actually run my powertool at 50HZ, I will probably go with that option you've suggested instead.

Nice one
[automerge]1585415886[/automerge]
It depends of how long to decide to run it for and whether a percentage power loss is an issue which will happen on 50hz. You also have to consider the motor will turn slower which may affect its ability to cool itself it allowed to run for a period of time.

Great points Westward10, I could take a bit of a hit on the speed, but the overheating could be an issue!

Having eaten all the biscuits and drunk all the beverages I’m about to buy all the tools and equipment and there’ll be none left for anyone else. Ha ha.

Having eaten all the biscuits and drunk all the beverages I’m about to buy all the tools and equipment and there’ll be none left for anyone else. Ha ha.
On that note- you wouldn't be interested in buying a useless 60HZ American rotary tool while you're at it, would you? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Reply to Transformer question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net