Discuss transformer tripping mcb in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sajeel

-
Reaction score
Evening peeps,

Got a question i need help with a friend of mine has an american food processor the unit is 1000w 110v i purchased a 3000 w 230 to 110v step down and stepup transformer have set to 240v on input and using 110v output. I am finding due to surge sometimes on start up the transformer will trip a b32 mcb, i know mcb could be replace for type c, however rather carry this out on friends kitchen circuit, is there not another solution such as using plug in rcd or placing a type c mcb inline so consumer unit mcb is not tripped, i await replies and sugesstions along with critisms as usual

Attachments

• transformer tripping mcb transformer_front.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    transformer_front.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 2
  • transformer tripping mcb transformer_rear.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    transformer_rear.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 2
replace the B32 with a C type. my 3kVA site tranny also trips a B32.

If you are going to replace the device you need to ensure fault protection is still maintained if there is no rcd in place.

thanks so looks like a type c or d mcb, my question was if fit inline mcb to tranny power source will that stop the b32 tripping, if not i suppose not that difficult to replace inside consumer unit.

Evening peeps,

Got a question i need help with a friend of mine has an american food processor the unit is 1000w 110v i purchased a 3000 w 230 to 110v step down and stepup transformer have set to 240v on input and using 110v output. I am finding due to surge sometimes on start up the transformer will trip a b32 mcb, i know mcb could be replace for type c, however rather carry this out on friends kitchen circuit, is there not another solution such as using plug in rcd or placing a type c mcb inline so consumer unit mcb is not tripped, i await replies and sugesstions along with critisms as usual
Quite possibly it's the inrush current tripping the c type cb swap it for a D type

At the moment is tripping b mcb intermittent not every power on will try c mcb if not type d, from my calculation c should be enough. the unit is fitted with a c16 mcb at front

Is fault protection maintained with a type C or D. If you have no rcd protection in place a type D is a bad idea as they are not suitable for the protection of general socket outlets.
What make is the consumer unit.

Do you have the manufacturers information to calculate what curve MCB is required?

Also is the Zs of the final circuit sufficiently low for a type C or D.

Also a type D isn't really suitable for domestic socket outlets, I would consider running in a sperparte circuit if a type D is required.

Much easier to buy a food processor at the correct voltage and frequency rating, there's quite a large selection available...

Type D are rare as few loads need them, and for higher current type D MCBs it can be hard to meet the 0.4s disconnection time for final circuits (you need quite a low Zs to hit the magnetic trip to meet that specification).

They tend to be for protecting sub-mains (when 5s on the thermal part is OK), but are not as good as fuses there in terms of selectivity with downs stream MCB/RCBO. Or for high inrush things like big transformers and motors, again not a common domestic type of load.

Also if you are regularly switching a load that needs a type D MCB due to inrush you will find you switch has a short life...

Good pointers people am will look into type c mcb, to be honest have not taken tranny to friends house yet might not even trip, just tested at his home

Type D are rare as few loads need them, and for higher current type D MCBs it can be hard to meet the 0.4s disconnection time for final circuits (you need quite a low Zs to hit the magnetic trip to meet that specification).

They tend to be for protecting sub-mains (when 5s on the thermal part is OK), but are not as good as fuses there in terms of selectivity with downs stream MCB/RCBO. Or for high inrush things like big transformers and motors, again not a common domestic type of load.

Also if you are regularly switching a load that needs a type D MCB due to inrush you will find you switch has a

Good pointers people am will look into type c mcb, to be honest have not taken tranny to friends house yet might not even trip, just tested at his home
Schneider produce d type breakers 1 pole up to 60A din rail mount.
I have one of these

Reply to transformer tripping mcb in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock