• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss transformers/dimmer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zaffy

My dimmer switch servicing six 12volt MR16 went. Pushed it in and nothing happened, no click. Replaced it with new component. Stil did not work. Replaced the two transformers. Still does not work. Any advice/tips before I call in an electrician?

Last edited by a moderator:

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
have you still got power to the switch? to be honest, this would involve live working and if you a. are not competent. b, don't have the correct test equipment, then call a spark .

Z

Zaffy

have you still got power to the switch? to be honest, this would involve live working and if you a. are not competent. b, don't have the correct test equipment, then call a spark .

A more competent friend tested the wires with a neon tester, he said they were live.

P

Plonker 3

That means nothing, get a electrician in a neon will prove nothing apart from his knowledge of electrics is zero.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
could be that the transformers and dimmer are incompatible.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
A more competent friend tested the wires with a neon tester, he said they were live.

​hope he's still live.

Z

Zaffy

Why all the jokes?

Friend had a small srewdriver with light. Light lit up, hence the wire is live.

Am I missing something?

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
My money's on the dimmer being busted!

Z

Zaffy

could be that the transformers and dimmer are incompatible.
Telectrix. How can I tell if the transformer and dimmer are incompatible? I replaced the transformer with like for like, the dimmer component is not the same make but I was assured it was equivalent.

P

Plonker 3

Maybe a neutral, maybe not enough voltage which a "neon" wont tell you, your friend could have killed himself. You are missing plenty of things. Call a electrician in or even post your location on here and maybe someone on here could come and have a PROPER look for you. Shouldn't take too long to resolve the issue.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
to a competent sparks, a neon screwdriver is like a brain surgeon using a chain saw.

P

Plonker 3

Telectrix. How can I tell if the transformer and dimmer are incompatible? I replaced the transformer with like for like, the dimmer component is not the same make but I was assured it was equivalent.
Is the transformer dimmable?

Murdoch

Electrician's Arms
Have you calculated the load?

You could be exceeding the load that the dimmer can stand.

mickys86

Electrician's Arms
Why all the jokes?

Friend had a small srewdriver with light. Light lit up, hence the wire is live.

Am I missing something?
Let's just say the neon light is frowned upon. It isn't gs38 approved test equipment and are considered very dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.