Discuss Transparent wires on a light fitting? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all

I don't have the installation instructions for a Next 5 light candle bulb chandelier light fitting I've acquired, and it has confusing clear wires.

There's an obvious green/yellow striped earth.
But then there are three clear wires, one with a green thread running through, one with a blue, and the third looks as if it doesn't have one.

I've contacted Next but they can't find the model number on their system. The previous owner of the fitting no longer has the instructions.

Can anyone offer advice please?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_193925.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 52
Logically, the green thread should be the earth of the fitting, but you'd need a test meter to confirm. You must be sure before firing it up!
Blue might be neutral, but L&N can be reversed, depends on the lamp type.

Hello all

I don't have the installation instructions for a Next 5 light candle bulb chandelier light fitting I've acquired, and it has confusing clear wires.

But then there are three clear wires, one with a green thread running through, one with a blue, and the third looks as if it doesn't have one.

I've contacted Next but they can't find the model number on their system. The previous owner of the fitting no longer has the instructions.

Thanks
i would think that the one with the blue is the neutral and the one without any marking is the line

I detest these sorts of wires and really don't think they should be allowed. They usually come preconnected to a terminal block which is labelled L N and E, but they are often way too long and have to be cut back, at which point you have to remember to mark wires or you end up like this.

The one I last saw had a yellow for earth, a red for line and nothing visible for neutral. You sometimes have to get them in the right light and rotate them to see the marking as it is usually very thin and subtle.

You really need a tester to confirm - a simple cheap multi meter will do if it has a resistance readng.

The earth can be identified by testing between any of the metal parts and the cable - the green one will most likely prove to be the one.

If the lamps(bulbs) are bayonet type, then it's not critical which of the other two goes to which. However, a lot of these fittings are Edison screw lamps and in those cases it is vital that the live is connected to the centre connecter at the bottom of the lamp holder. Otherwise it becomes possible to contact live parts while changing a bulb (of course it shouldn't be done live, but we all know people do it)

Modern ES lampholders by construction if manufactured to the correct standard are no longer polarity biased.

I have a similar Next light fitting and each wire is marked with cotton? thread in the traditional colours: brown, blue and green/yellow. I just wired it as you would normally, given the colours. It might be that your 'unmarked' wire does have a brown thread, but it's been snipped off when it was stripped.
I seem to remember there was a separate green/yel wire attached to the metal ceiling rose shroud, so two earth wires in all.
But do be careful if its already used - would be good to have it tested.

Modern ES lampholders by construction if manufactured to the correct standard are no longer polarity biased.
Good to know - but I hestitate to give a company who provides a fitting with wires this badly marked much benefit of the doubt.

The one I worked on had a 'converter' from ES to SES in too, which I suspect didn't help meet any standard.

I had a moment with the lad the other day when I asked him if he had confirmed the polarity of a ES fitting he'd just installed.

"Don't need to, not needed anymore" or words to that effect.

The fiting, a wall light, had an integral switch.

"And what conductor do we have to ensure switches are in?" Was my reply.

He had it done correctly but wasn't happy he had to check.

No doubt his college lecturer told him polarity don't matter with new ES fittings.

There is no part of the thread which is live with the lamp removed. Both contacts are at the base of the lamp holder which disconnect almost immediately when the lamp is unscrewed. There should also be a shroud which renders the threaded part inaccessible until the lamp is sufficiently unscrewed.

There is no part of the thread which is live with the lamp removed. Both contacts are at the base of the lamp holder which disconnect almost immediately when the lamp is unscrewed. There should also be a shroud which renders the threaded part inaccessible until the lamp is sufficiently unscrewed.
What's the standard number out of interest? Will add it to the list that I'll never buy, but useful to know they exist.

When did it come in? because the light I worked with was not that old, but didn't seem to meet those requirements.

I'm guessing these don't either?

61%2BgwXlaO8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What's the standard number out of interest? Will add it to the list that I'll never buy, but useful to know they exist.

When did it come in? because the light I worked with was not that old, but didn't seem to meet those requirements.

I'm guessing these don't either?

61%2BgwXlaO8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
IEC 60238:2018 + A1:2018 or BS EN IEC same thing.
I think the little side contact at the bottom of ES fittings, instead of a 'conductive thread', came in just a few years ago. But i'm not going to buy the standard to find out!
The thing above must be Chinese Export!

Hello all

Thanks
Hi, did you manage to find out the answer to this. I have the exact same problem. I did realise I needed to keep a note of which wire was which, but the small tags came off the wire when I was trying to shorten the cable.

Regardless of all that I just don't like the idea of the line going through the threaded part and neutral to centre contact, just seems @rse about face. :)
grumpy old me. i don't like anything yjat's come into the regs since the 16th.

Reply to Transparent wires on a light fitting? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net