Discuss Travel Rate Queries in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Q

QuantumEnergy

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I had to fill in doing the wages for the lads and was wondering if you could fill in a blank for me. I paid them travel rate anyway but was wondering on peoples opinion.

As far as I am aware you pay travel rate when your guys go str8 to the job, obviously if over 15 miles etc. If you get them to come into the office first to pick up materials etc then you pay them shop rate.

How do people feel about the set up when the site is a couple of miles from where they stay and the office is 17 miles from the job?

If I am understanding the rules correctly, we should be paying them more if they go str8 to the job (2 miles away) than we do if they have to come into the office (17 miles away). Is there any wiggle room?

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Sintra

Admin
Supporter
All travel should be paid from the office which is correct regardless of where they live in relation to the job. If you were to bring them into the office first then they should be provided with transport to the job anyway and paid for their time.

M

MarkieSparkie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The way it works with most firms:- Employees are responsible for paying their travel to and from their normal place of work. Using your example 17 miles to work and 17 miles home ie. 34 miles each day. They only receive travel expenses for any travel to and from a remote site in excess of their normal journey to and from work. So, say the remote site where they are working is 25 miles from their home, they would be paid 50-34 = 16 miles travel allowance for the journey to and from site.

S

sedgy34

They should be thankful they have a bloody job let alone fuel costs too

Sedgy you sound like a boss there anything that puts money in the working mans pocket for me is good

I work for a large firm, and the way it works for us is this.

We are provided with a company van. We are paid travel time from the yard, which is 45 mins from home. some jobs we make a little on travel time, because its closer to us than the yard is, but on other jobs we lose, because we have to drive past the yard to get to the job. the only rule is that we have to be at the job by 8 at the latest.

In reality we're on a good crack, and we're treated fairly. Not all firms are like this.

D

Deleted member 26818

My understanding, is that travel allowance is paid if someone works at a temporary place of work for anything less than two years.
The allowance should be paid from home to the place of work.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Travel Rate Queries in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Top Bottom