Discuss tray and conduit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tomasi

:) are there any sites out there showing how to fabricate
cable tray/conduit as my nephew is keen to learn as
he is starting college soon

considering the sparks i work with it feels like a dying art ,these days people are too quick to use manufactured bends pity i cant draw on this puter

Im not sure if you can learn how to install tray and conduit from a web site or even a book for that matter,
The way to learn,as with all practical skills, is by doing it .
the best thing your nephew can do is to wait untill he gers to college,and then hopefully gets a job where he can learn on site,
good luck

As above.

I've been learning dog legs, 45, 90 bends in trunking, tray and basket etc.

Bloody hell. There'll be a course on that too soon!

Rum and Wayne are right this is a dying art the only way to learn is by being shown although one thing I can explain is we used to mark the conduit former 1 1/2 inches from the back this would give you the back of the bend. So for sake of argument if you have from the top of a box to the ceiling 500mm measure 500 mark with a pencil put the pencil mark on the mark on the former then bend to a 90 degree making sure that the measured length is facing you. Give it a go and once you get the hang of knowing where the bend starts and finishes you will be able to do all sorts of bends. Understanding the bender is the key. As for tray one method is measure from A to B then mark a line across the tray then measure to one side what the width of the tray is, lets say the tray is 4 inches mark 4 inches from B making C lets say, mark a line from B to C across the tray. Cut this triangle out then bend your tray round until both sides meet mark the lip where it touches or you have 90 degrees then cut that lip off. Once that is done fold the tray back round and bolt together. This is for tray fixed on one surface and you must check which way you are bending, left or right and the position whether it is on the floor or the ceiling because it will be transposed. Again give it a go many sparks have different methods and some like to show off their prowess on bending tray ,trunking and tube so don't be frightened to ask. I could explain trunking as well but this post is long enough already! I hope this has helped.

a file, some pliers and tin snips are a good start along with a hacksaw ;)

Reply to tray and conduit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock