Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Tray and Trunking cutting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net



Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Are there any guides online on tray and trunking cutting techniques, my lad is learning and i wondered if there are any guides on the net, google throws up nothing.
Instyle LED Lighting Specialists UK
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #2
A good bit of starting advice might be 'measure twice, cut once'!

If they're using made up angles and bends then it's a piece of p and little more than measure up, cut to length, offer up, mark up, drill out, sling it up, bolt together.

If he's manufacturing bends then get a gook bood on tinsmithing or sheet metalwork perhaps?

Useful/necessary to have in the toolbox;
* Quality PPE, goggles, gloves, coveralls that don't burn too easily
* Quality 4.5" Angle Grinder with carb cutting discs, grinding discs and Emery wheels (plenty of each, dry stored and fitted properly!) If you can manage two it often saves time swapping discs or thinking too far ahead to save changing discs.
* Quality Power drill (HSS and masonry bits) pref with hammer
* 2nd Cut (or b-astard) half round file (for dressing edges)
* Combi Square (for measuring angles)
* 5m steel tape
* Dividers (for marking up)
* Another pair of hands :O)

Some timber for laying tray on for cutting, one piece either side of the cut and enough to support any bits hanging over to keep the job flat.

Probably plenty more to add but it's early! Hope that's a useful start
Last edited by a moderator:


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
Nowadays most consultants and specifications require all pre manufactured bends, angles etc, personally i prefer to see a sparky manufacture sets/doublesets etc with a single piece of trunking, (it will always have better continuity as it is a solid piece of metal), i am not aware of anything on the nett aw we were shown by time served sparks


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
whats a double set?

where it steps over summat?
Last edited by a moderator:


Smaller galv trunking and tray is easy to cut with a hacksaw but when you get on to bigger trunking - 6 inch upwards I find it easier and quicker to cut using a jig saw or chop saw as you can get better accuracy when cutting. For cutting plastic trunking use a hacksaw or mitre saw for angles.

Ive been doing loads of galv trunking lately and have onloy used pre-maunfactured bends as it is quicker although making your own is easy enough just takes a bit longer.


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
Don,t forget the galv spray lads, stops the cut ends goin all rusty in time, and sometimes you have to manufacture the double sets etc cause the ones you buy are to big, and if you have no choice but to end the tray, don,t forget about earth continuity, also we use braided earth links as well.
If at all possible keep the tray solid through out, some companies we have subbed for wont except anything less.
i think someone's trying to pull a fast one there lol, i have spares of book 1 and book 2 i'm trying to shift i'll happily get rid for about £15 each.


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #10
no1 going to tell me what a double set is then lol


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #11
A double set is as you say... Where it steps off the wall over something and then back to the wall again.
I realise this thread's 10 years old but for anyone interested:
Resources for trunking - Electrical Installations Book 1 ,
or there're excellent videos on the subject on Learning Lounge (costs around £50 but there's a lot of other good stuff there).
On YouTube GSH Electrical and others have videos on the subject.

Also, a double set is where you have 2 sets like a dog leg so you end up running parallel to your original line but to one side.
Where you step off the wall, over something and back to the wall is called a bubble, crank or bridge set.

Reply to Tray and Trunking cutting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom