Discuss tray separation or not ??????? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

multimick

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i have installed some 4inch tray horizontal around a mains room in factory carrying for the moment a couple of 4mm twin earths ,more will be added later, the cctv and data guys have come along and tywrapped their cat 5 cables to this tray ,it maybe just a temp measure as it is very roughly done at this time ,whats your thoughts on this please .

Polite email to the data company, CC'd to the customer or main contractor explaining the tray was put up for LV power, and there are more cables to go on it. Their data cables need to be removed from the tray.

There's a reason for separation, and you were there first. If there's interference on their network, its their fault for installing so close to your power cables.

With respect,it is for the owner of the mains room in that factory,to decide what is cut/removed. They can make this decision,assisted by your input or recommendation,but taking steps to change this before knowing,is foolish.
no it isnt, if youve quoted for supporting cables on 4" tray then that tray is ALL yours once you install it

data guy wants ready fitted 4" tray he can fit it himself or see me outside for a fight

Why stop there? I’d cut out the cable, rip out the patch panels and start fitting some din rail in the cabinets.
I bet they wouldn’t pinch your tray again.
put dog sheizer inside their shoes at lunchtime

in all honesty, id make the data guys job as difficult as possible now, wait till he fixes it all to the tray properly then tell him NOPE

Just put it in writing to the customer and explain that any issues will be down to them, not you.

Explain that you will need to detail an exception to BS7671 on the EIC and crack on.

I would not get to caught up with it. In reality nothing is going to happen.

Sod being polite.
Find the end of the data cables and swap round any identification labels they may have put on them.

"These are all the wrong cables???"

"No.... They are all the right cables.... but not necessarily in the right order"

short avouple of the daya cables out at one end. then stick a car battery across the other end.

get the big drill out and put it right through the bottom of their toolbox with a 20mm masonry bit into the ground, pop a few 20mm anchors into the holes and fix to the ground

get the grinder out and make them a sunroof for their van

the list is endless

no it isnt, if youve quoted for supporting cables on 4" tray then that tray is ALL yours once you install it

data guy wants ready fitted 4" tray he can fit it himself or see me outside for a fight

Jolly good,this will be welcome news,to the various nations battling over the mineral rights,under the Arctic ocean...:)

Departures from BS7671 must afford at least the same degree of safety as compliance. It's not there as a means of not complying with the Standard when it suits.

Absolutely correct. There is zero safety reasons to not run telephone cables om the same tray as LV cables in this scenario. Hence the departure.

Reply to tray separation or not ??????? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock